Autumn leaves Rice Krispies treats are fun fall snacks that kids can help make.
I love Rice Krispies Treats. They are so easy to make and and I can eat a whole pan myself. Not that I've ever done that. We give store bought treats for baseball gifts, but homemade is just better! We make Watermelon Rice Krispies Treats for summer, which are super cute for potlucks.
But I've never made cut out shapes with Rice Krispies Treats and it was time to try. We made leaves, but pumpkins or even Halloween shapes would be cute.
You can make these treats with the classic Rice Krispies recipe, or if you want a little “healthier” version, try our Chocolate Almond Rice Krispies Treats recipe which uses honey instead of marshmallows and adds in almond butter.
Autumn Leaves Rice Krispies Treats
I usually make Rice Krispies Treats in a 9 x 13 pan, but to make these a bit easier to cut, we used a jelly roll pan instead. Make sure to spray the bottom to make it easier to get the leaves out. To get the Rice Krispies evenly distributed on the pan, use a piece of wax paper sprayed with cooking spray.
Once the the treats are set and cooled, use leaf cookie cutters to cut out the shapes. Any cookie cutters will work, of course! Spray the cookie cutters with cooking spray to make sure the smaller parts don't stick to the cutter.
At this point they don't really look like leaves. So we need to add a little decoration.My kids love Wilton Sparkle Gel for decorating so we used those to trace around the outside of each leaf and add in veins.
These are great for school fall festivals and bake sales! They'd also be fun to pair with a school lesson on fall leaves and seasons turning.
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies
- 1 10 ounce package mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Wilton Sparkle Gels in red, orange, yellow and green
- Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. Mine was a jellyroll pan and measures 10x15x1. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine marshmallows and butter.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds, check and microwave for another 30 seconds. You're looking for semi melted butter and puffy marshmallows. Continue to microwave in 20 second increments until ready.
- Stir to completely melt butter and combine with marshmallows.
- Pour in Cocoa Krispies and stir to evenly coat.
- Press into prepared pan. Let set to harden.
- Use leaf cookie cutters to cut out shapes and decorate with color gels.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76 Total Fat: 9g