Enjoy a fun spin on the classic Rice Krispies treat for a late night snack! Chocolate and almond combine with Kellogg’s Rice Krispies for a delicious snack.
The dishes are done. The kids are in bed. I’m usually working in my laptop and maybe watching some TV. Then some time around 9:00 PM, I start to get hungry.
Because of my husband’s early work schedule, we eat early meals. We eat dinner by 5:00 PM, which means that 4 hours later, I’m getting hungry. If I go to bed hungry, then I have trouble falling asleep so I definitely need a late night snack.
So I decided to take the classic Rice Krispies treat and spin it a little. I’ve recently fallen in love with almond butter and can’t get enough of it. I also love chocolate so I decided to put the two together to create a late night snack.
I decided to forgo the the marshmallow option and decided to use honey to make the Rice Krispies stick together. It worked like a charm! The bars do seem a bit stickier than the classic version so I’ve kept them in the refrigerator to help keep the stickiness to a minimum.
This recipe is quick and easy, too, so these Rice Krispies treats can be whipped up at a moment’s notice. I put mine in the freezer for 20 minutes and they were set and ready to cut.
10 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Liberally grease the bottom and sides of an 8x8 square baking pan. Set aside.
- Measure out Rice Krispies into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a small pan over low heat, melt together almond butter, honey, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Carefully pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal. Quickly, but gently, stir the cereal until it is well coated with the chocolate mixture.
- Pour chocolate covered cereal in to prepared pan. Use wax paper to firmly press the mixture in to the pan and create a smooth top.
- Place pan in freezer or refrigerator to set. Remove pan from fridge and cut in to bars. Store in an air tight container in a cool place.
Compensation was provided by Kellogg’s via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Kellogg’s. This article may contain affiliate links.