Make watermelon rice krispie treats recipe for a summer potluck – or just a snack! The classic Rice Krispie treat recipe is made into watermelon slices for a fun twist on this iconic snack.
I might be a tiny bit prejudice – but how cute are these watermelon Rice Krispies treats? Almost too cute to eat. Almost.
This is a very quick and easy recipe that is adorable for any kind of summer snacking. I think they'd be especially cute at a potluck. Volunteer to bring the watermelon and bring these, too.
Watermelon Rice Krispies treats start off just like the classic recipe – marshmallows, rice cereal, and butter. You can use a microwave to melt the marshmallows or your stove.
Make sure to melt the mixture in a large enough bowl to be able to add the Rice Krispies and coat them later.
You work the recipe in two batches and will end up with one green batch and one pink batch.
A little trick to make your treats not quite so sticky to work with – let the batches sit for 10 minutes after coating the cereal. It'll be easier to work with.
Use a round baking pan like a pie plate to form the watermelon circle. Press the green mixture on the outside edge of the plate. Then press the pink mixture in the middle of the green ring.
Add a handful of mini chocolate chips to the pink and then press it all down and together.
Refrigerate and slice in to wedges. Your watermelon Rice Krispie treats are ready to be eaten.
Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1 package of marshmallows
- Pink, green food coloring
- Mini chocolate chips
- Split your Rice Krispies in 2 seperate bowls (3 cups in each bowl).
- Empty 1/2 bag of marshmallows and 11/2 Tablespoons of butter in a large microwave safe bowl or in to a large pan on the stove. Add the other half of the marshmallows and the other 1 1/2 Tablespoons of butter to another bowl or pan. Melt the marshmallows and butter together.
- After your marshmallows are melted, add green food coloring to one bowl and pink to the other bowl. Stir to color.
- Add 3 cups Rice Krispies to each bowl of marshmallow mixture and stir to coat the Rice Krispies.
- I always let the mixtures sit at this point for about 10 minutes after I mix so that the Rice Krispies treats aren't so sticky. But feel free to move ahead if you don't want to wait.
- In a round baking pan press the green rice Krispy mix around the outer edges of the pan.
- Next press down the pink Rice Krispie in the center of the green ring.
- Sprinkle a handful of mini chocolate chips on the pink part of the watermelon.
- Using a plastic storage bag or a piece of wax paper, firmly press down on all of the watermelon to get it to stick together. Make sure to press the chocolate chips down as well.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and slice and serve.
6 Snacks for Traveling with Kids
This article may contain affiliate links.