Love lasagna but not all the work of making it? Check out this quick and easy lasagna recipe using no cook noodles, a jar of pasta sauce and frozen meatballs.
Lasagna is one of those comfort foods you just can’t get enough of. But cooking the meat, boiling the noodles, and then layering it all together is just too much for a weeknight meal. With a few “cheat” tricks, though you can make lasagna quickly. You could probably even get your kids to make this one.
Start with a box of no cook lasagna noodles and a bag of frozen meatballs. No cooking needed here to get your lasagna up and running.
To make things quick and easy, you can us a jar pre-made pasta sauce or you can make your own homemade marinara sauce.
The last layer of lasagna is the cheese. We prefer cottage cheese in our lasagna but you can use ricotta if you like prefer it. Mixing up the cheese layer is the only prep work you will need to do before putting the lasagna together.
Start by layering a little sauce on the bottom of a pan. A cup of sauce will do. If you aren’t feeding a small army, make your lasagna in a smaller 9×9 or 8×8 baking pan.
Next top the sauce with two noodles, followed by half the cheese, and then a layer of meatballs. You do not need to thaw the meatballs. You can use them frozen.
Top the meatballs with more sauce, and then more pasta, the rest of the cheese, and meatballs.
Top the meatballs again with more sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. While this lasagna recipe may be quick and easy, it’s also very deep. The meatballs really give it some height. So just be careful when layering and you’ll need less layers to get a nice thick lasagna recipe.
Cover the dish with aluminum and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned. Let the lasagna stand for a good 15-20 minutes before serving. It’s even better if you make it the day before so it can sit a bit.
Seriously – you won’t believe how easy this is to make. The meatballs were completely thawed and hot throughout.
Just stash a bag of frozen meatballs in the freezer and no cook lasagna noodles and a jar of in the pantry and you can have lasagna anytime.
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 32 frozen meatballs
- 4 No Cook Lasagna Noodles
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together cottage cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup of pasta sauce in to the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish. Top with 2 no cook lasagna noodles. Spread half the cheese mixture on top of the noodles. Top with 16 frozen meatballs. Pour 1/2 cup sauce over the meatballs.
- Top meatballs with 2 more noodles. Spread the remaining cheese mixture over the noodles. Top with remaining meatballs. Top with the rest of the pasta sauce.
- Cover the sauce and meatballs with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil, tenting the middle so it doesn't touch the top of the cheese. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted, bubbly and browned. Remove pan from oven.
- Allow lasagna to sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 1087mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 28g