Salmon meatballs made with canned salmon, bread crumbs, and eggs are a quick and easy dinner and a great way to get more salmon at dinnertime.
If your family loves salmon patties, then they will love these salmon meatballs. Or if you just want a way to get more fish in your diet, these meatballs are a really fun way to do it. Salmon meatballs are easy to make. Just mix up the ingredients and fry to cook. The dill, horseradish, and capers add a nice flavor, but you can also skip them if you have picky eaters.
Salmon Meatball Ingredients:
- Canned boneless, skinless salmon – make sure that the can says the salmon is boneless and skinless!
- Breadcrumbs (plain, panko)
- Fresh dill
- Creamy horseradish – found in the deli section in a bottle like mustard.
- Capers – these are usually found by olives. You can use the leftovers to make Chicken Piccata with Lemon and Capers.
- Oil for frying
Salmon Meatball Directions:
Mix together all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Again, make sure the salmon you have is skinless and boneless. You don’t want to open a can of skin on, bone-in salmon.
The creamy horseradish will be in a bottle similar to mustard. We found ours by the deli counter.
Capers are usually by the olives. We love capers so much that we always have a bottle on hand! Use a fork or a wooden spoon to mix it all together.
Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to form the mixture into balls. You can make them bigger or smaller. Bigger balls may fall apart easily, though, but a 1 tablespoon scoop would work well.
Gently roll the scoop into a ball and set it aside on a plate. Keep scooping and rolling until all the meat mixture is used up.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Don’t be afraid of the oil. You don’t want to deep fry them, but you want them to brown and not stick.
Cook the meatballs in batches for 8-10 minutes, turning so that each side is browned. When the meatballs are browned, they will be easy to turn. If they give you resistance, then let them cook longer on that side. These are a little bit delicate so be gentle when turning.
- 2 6-ounce cans of boneless, skinless salmon
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (plain, panko)
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 Tablespoons creamy horseradish (found in the deli section)
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- ½ cup oil for frying
- Mix together all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to form the mixture into balls.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the meatballs in batches for 8-10 minutes, turning so that each side is browned.
- Once cooked, remove from pan to a paper towel-lined plate and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g