Easy and festive, red, white, and blue mixed berry shortcake in jars are a fun Fourth of July treat. Layer berries and cake in jars for individual desserts.
Summertime means all the things red, white, and blue food like Red, White, and Blue Fudge and Red, White, and Blue Homemade Ice Cream . As we head into a post-pandemic era, individually prepared foods are the stars of parties. Let’s make some dessert in jars using fruit and pound cake.
Red, White, and Blue Mixed Berry Shortcake in Jars
Mixed Berry Shortcake Ingredients:
Mixed berry shortcakes couldn’t be any easier to make. You’ll need:
- Shortcake: A frozen, prepared pound cake makes up the shortcake. You can find that in the freezer of your grocery store. You could also try using angel food cake or yellow cake.
- Berries: Any kind of red and blueberries will work like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries. Pick your favorite.
- Whipped cream: You can make homemade whipped cream, but the whipped topping in a tub holds up a bit better in the summer heat.
Mixed Berry Shortcake Directions:
Using a bread knife, cut the pound cake into small cubes. Leaving the cake just slightly frozen will help keep the crumbs to a minimum and get more consistent cubes. You can also make angel food cake, or use a yellow cake. You could try homemade shortcakes and those could also be cut up.
Layer a handful of blueberries, pound cake, and strawberries into the jars. You can do any order you like best. Top with whipped cream.
To get pretty whipped cream, scoop the whipped topping out of the tub, and put it in a pastry bag. Pipe the whipped cream topping on top. You could also add a little whipped cream in between the layers. Cuz who doesn’t love a little extra whipped cream?
Serve these mixed berry shortcakes for an easy dessert at dinner or for a summer party.
- 1 lb prepared pound cake
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, washed
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, washed, stems removed and sliced small
- Whipped topping
- Using a bread knife, cut the pound cake into small cubes.
- Layer a handful of blueberries, pound cake and strawberries into a small mason jar.
- Top with whipped topping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 286mgFiber: 3gSugar: 34gProtein: 5g