Welcome to the very last Secret Recipe Club post for 2012! Due to the busyness of the holidays, the club is taking a break in December, but we will be back in January. This month I was assigned the blog Eat Little, Eat Big. She has so many unique recipes on her blog that I had a fun time just poking around. This chicken curry recipe caught my eye — you know I love a good chicken curry! My kids really love smoothies and chai oat smoothies sounded very healthy and appropriate for fall. Plus it’d be a great way to use up my homemade chai tea concentrate. But I really wanted to find something to make for a Thanksgiving dessert.
Deciding what desserts to serve on Thanksgiving is difficult for me. There are just way too many options! I want something pumpkin and pecan, but apple pie sounds good, too. A few years ago we switched out our pumpkin pie for pumpkin cheesecake and it’s been a regular part of our Thanksgiving menu ever since. This year, though, I am in the mood for apple pie but it’s just not Thanksgiving with a little pumpkin. Pumpkin Cheesecake Parfaits are just what I was looking for. I can make these in small cups for a little taste of pumpkin but still have room for apple pie.
I adapted the original recipe by making homemade whipped cream and using regular cream cheese. I also sprinkled graham cracker crumbs on the top instead of using nuts and I was really happy with the way they looked. I think it would be fun to change up the graham cracker crumbs with gingersnap cookie crumbs or even pecans chopped finely. All would be delicious!
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 small can)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream
- In a food processor or blender, blend together cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg and puree until smooth.
- Layer ingredients in desired serving dishes as follows: graham cracker crumbs, pumpkin, and then the whip cream. Layer twice ending with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top of parfait or add a few nuts for garnish.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Feel free to hop around and check out the rest of today’s Secret Recipe Club posts!