Irish cream is a decadent adult beverage that I often enjoy in my coffee or use to make milk shakes with a kick. But store bought Irish cream is expensive whereas this homemade version is very affordable. I use homemade chocolate syrup to make it even more frugal.
I don’t like much alcohol, but Irish cream is one of the few exceptions. Unfortunately, it’s also pretty expensive so I rarely had it around. A few years ago I ran across a recipe for homemade Irish cream and it turns out to be super easy to make. I looked at a lot of recipes and they are all virtually the same. Most call for whiskey, but I opted for vodka because that’s what I have on hand. You can make your own sweetened condensed milk, if you don’t have any in your pantry. I’ve also made this before use a can of evaporated milk. I just dissolved 1/2 cup sugar in the evaporated milk and called it good.
- 2 eggs
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (or some variation thereof)
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon [url href="http://growingupgabel.com/homemade-chocolate-sauce/" title="Homemade Chocolate Sauce"]chocolate sauce[/url]
- Up to 2 cups vodka or whiskey
- Whisk eggs by hand or in stand mixer with whisk attachment.
- Add in rest of ingredients, one at a time, whisking well to combine.
- Store in a sterilized glass container for up to three months refrigerated.