Bird nest cookies are an easy macaroon cookie recipe filled with jelly beans!
When I was a kid one of my favorite candies to find in my Easter basket were a chocolate birds nest filled with jelly beans. When I was in college I spent an Easter with a friend and her mother and we made a similar type of cookie using chow mein noodles. They were delicious! But I can’t seem to find that recipe anywhere. It occurred to me that I could take my favorite macaroon recipe and make it in to a nest, too.
Macaroon cookies are very easy to make. They generally only need a few ingredients and are ready to bake. I make them every Christmas, Passover and Easter. Just mix up the dough to start.
Use a cookie scoop to fill the wells of a well greased mini muffin tin. I wanted to make sure the nests didn’t stick at all so I used a lot of grease. They popped right out.
Bake for 8-10 minutes. Watch the cookies closely because there is a lot of sugar so they burn easily. Wait for the edge to get a nice golden brown and then take them out of the oven. You can see some of my tips got a little darker brown.
Let the cookies cool and then fill with eggs. I used both jelly beans and Cadbury Mini Eggs. I liked the chocolate with the coconut, but you can only fit one mini egg in a nest so I prefer the jelly beans for looks. Kids love the look of these but they aren’t big fans of the coconut which means they are all yours!
- 1 14 oz bag (5 1/2 cups) shredded coconut
- 2/3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 scant cup sweetened condensed milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and oil a mini muffin tin well.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, coconut and salt.
- Add milk and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop the batter in to each well of the muffin tin.
- Use your thumb to indent the middle of each well to create a nest.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Fill each nest with a jelly bean or Cadbury mini-egg .