Italian lemon cookies are small round frosted cookies with a fresh lemon flavor topped with a lemon glaze. They are the perfect cookie for Christmas, Easter, Mother’s Day or just an fresh afternoon treat.
You know how you aren’t supposed to go grocery shopping when you’re hungry? Well, I think rule applies to online shopping, too. Don’t get on Amazon when you’re craving cookies.
I had just had a conversation with an Italian friend about cookie tables at Italian weddings. Being not Italian, I’d never heard of such a thing, but of course, it sounds amazing. And Amazon must have been eavesdropping because Sweet Maria’s Italian Cookie Tray Cookbook was waiting for me when I opened the app. It was meant to be.
If you love baking Italian cookies, definitely check out Sweet Maria’s Italian Cookie Tray Cookbook. It is a great little cookbook full of delicious Italian cookies. And Italian Lemon Cookies are the perfect addition to your cookie tray for Christmas.
The very first recipe in Sweet Maria’s is for Lemon Drop Cookies or Anginetti. The recipe looked very is pretty simple to make although the dough is really sticky. Be prepared to use lots of flour!
These are some of the best cookies you will ever make. Even better than Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies! Not only are they are very easy to make, but the recipe makes a lot of cookies. They are great for giving away or serving at party.
The frosting is a simple lemon glaze. It will take a little time because there are so many, but it’s a great job for the kids.
Tips for making Lemon Italian Cookies:
- You can use lemon essential oil instead or lemon extract in these cookies. The oil is a little stronger so be prepared for that. You can also substitute lemon extract. We used oil because we had it on hand.
- The recipe says to oil the cookie sheets, which I hate doing so I used parchment paper instead. The cookies stuck to the parchment paper. I oiled the cookie sheets on the next batch they were perfect. So oil those cookie sheets!
- These lemon cookies are absolutely divine served with cardamom coffee. And if you love Italian cookies, pair them with pastel pizzelles!
Italian Lemon Cookies
For the Cookies:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3-5 drops lemon oil or 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the Frosting:
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of milk (or more as needed)
- 2-3 drops lemon oil
To Make the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cookie sheets by lightly greasing with shortening. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the eggs, milk, lemon oil, sugar and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Add in the flour and baking powder, 1 cup and a few teaspoons at a time.
- Mix just until a dough forms. It will be very sticky. Add a touch more flour to make the dough workable.
- Dip a cookie scoop into some flour and the scoop out the cookies and drop onto the prepared sheets, about an inch apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the tops are just lightly browned.
- Remove immediately from the cookie sheet on to a wire rack to cool.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Frosting:
- Mix together powdered sugar, milk and lemon oil or extract in a large bowl.
- You may need to add more milk to get desired consistency. You want the frosting thick but runny.
- Set some wax paper under the cookies on the wire rack.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the frosting on the cookies.
- Add sprinkles if desired.
It is essential to oil the cookie sheets!
This article may contain affiliate links. No tags