Ready to try the best French onion soup recipe in the world? All you need is a slow cooker, cooked onions and beef broth to make this easy soup recipe.
After his first bite of this soup, my husband declared that it was the best French onion soup recipe in the world. And then he said it three more times so I can safely say that this is indeed a killer onion soup recipe.
What makes it even better is that it’s basically a hands off recipe until just before serving. So haul out that slow cooker and get ready to taste the best French onion soup recipe in the world!
The base of this soup recipe really is the onions. You need a good amount of caramelized onions and the best way to cook them is in your slow cooker. Check out how I cook onions to a nice brown, caramel color in my slow cooker.
Once your onions are cooked, you simply add beef broth and flavorings. I added in red wine, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce, but those are optional.
Add the broth to the slow cooker where the onions cooked and set the soup on low. The longer it cooks, the better it gets. Cook it anywhere from 1-12 hours.
When the soup is ready, it’s time to prep the bowls. French onion soup is served with a slice of hearty bread and cheese on top.
I used some leftover sourdough sandwich bread from making Sourdough and Sausage Tuscan Egg Bake for breakfast. I cut the slices in half so they’d fit squarely on the top of the bowl. Toast the bread to firm it up.
Everyone uses a different cheese for the top of French onion soup. Truly, gruyere cheese is the best, but it’s also really expensive. So feel free to use provolone, swiss or even mozzarella.
Put the bowls under the broiler until the cheese melts and then serve immediately.
And if you’re going to be making this recipe a lot, you may want to invest in traditional soup crocks!
- 1 batch of cooked onions
- 8 cups of beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons dry red wine (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Bread for each bowl
- Cheese (gruyere, provolone, swiss or mozzarella)
- If you cooked the onions in a slow cooker, just add all the other ingredients to the same crock. Otherwise, place all ingredients in the crock of a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for anywhere from 2-12 hours.
- To serve: Lightly toast bread slices. Ladle soup into bowls and top with the toasted bread. Top the bread with desired cheese.
- Broil the soup until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
[dtbaker_banner text=”You Will Also Love:” linkhref=”” type=”brush”]