Slow cooker French dip sandwich recipe is made using a simple chuck roast cooked in beef broth and spices. Serve topped with cheese and a side of au jus straight out of the Crock Pot.
Years ago I had a conversation with my neighbor about making French dip sandwiches at home. I love a good French dip so I was all ears. My neighbor made her sandwiches with deli roast beef and a packet of seasonings. That sounded good, but a little more processed than I liked.
Somehow I decided to use a chuck roast instead of roast beef or prime rib. So maybe this is more of a poor man's French dip. But it totally works!
Sear the roast – or don't. I've made it both ways and it's great either way.
The roast cooks in a beef broth and red wine mixture all day long. Simmering away to make an amazing au jus for dipping later.
I use garlic powder because it's easy but fresh, minced garlic would be delicious, too.
When the meat is cooked, shred it up and put it on a bun. I've used hoagie rolls, leftover hamburger buns, hot dog buns and more. This recipe is great for using up leftover buns and red wine.
Top each sandwich with cheese. My favorite is provolone, but again, take your pick and use your favorite cheese. Swiss or gruyere would be delicious.
Put the sandwiches under a broiler to melt the cheese. The green is parsley and it's just to make the sandwiches look pretty.
Serve the sandwiches with a cup of the au jus (sauce) from the slow cooker for dipping. I like to dip the top of the bread in the au jus before placing it on the sandwich to eat. It adds a little flavor and moistness to the sandwich with out all the dripping.
Serve the sandwiches with a side of homemade potato chips for an even better meal!
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- 3-5 lb roast (I used a chuck roast)
- 1/2 onion chopped, diced, or sliced (however you like it -- I diced mine)
- 2.5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional -- you can increase the water)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- pepper to taste
- Crusty rolls
- Cheese (provolone, swiss, mozzarella, white American)
- Trim fat from roast. Heat oil in a large skillet. Season roast with salt and pepper. Sear roast in pan on both sides until browned.
- Put roast in slow cooker. Add onions and then all liquids (broth, wine, water). Add onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and celery salt and stir to dissolve.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender enough to shred.
- Remove meat from slow cooker and shred.
- Place shredded beef on rolls and top with cheese. Broil sandwiches, open faced, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Dip top of rolls in to au jus in the slow cooker and place on top of the broiled bun.
- Serve sandwiches with a small dish of au jus for dipping.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2595kcal Calories from fat 877|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 97g||149%|
|Saturated Fat 39g||195%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This article may contain affiliate links.