Mix it up this fall with this pumpkin flavored Chex puppy chow recipe! Five simple ingredients plus about 15 minutes are all you need to whip up a pumpkin pie treat everyone will love.
One my favorite snacks is Chex puppy chow or muddy buddy mix. I'm not sure where the different names came from but either way, it is an easy snack to make.
I love the traditional chocolate and peanut butter mix, but there are a lot of fun variations on this classic snack recipe.
Since fall is just around the corner, and pumpkin will soon be on everyone's menu, a pumpkin pie flavored Chex puppy chow recipe was a must try.
Like most Chex puppy chow recipes, this pumpkin pie version is simple and quick to make. It only requires 5 ingredients and is ready in about 15 minutes.
Use any type of Chex cereal you prefer, but this version uses rice. You will also need pumpkin puree, Wilton white melting wafers, powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
I have a wonderful recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice in case you don't have any on hand.
You can use a microwave or a small pot on the stove to melt the wafers. I don't own a microwave so I generally just melt things on low on the stove top.
Melt the wafers in a large pot to leave room to mix the cereal in right in the pot. Less dishes to do!
Once the cereal is coated in the pumpkin puree mix, add it to the large plastic storage bag with the powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice mix.
Again, make sure to use a nice large bag to leave space to mix. Seal it tight and shake it around to coat the cereal.
Just looking at the finished snack mix, it doesn't really look like pumpkin. So add in a few fall colored sprinkles to get people wondering what flavor it is.
This is such a fun and unusual Chex puppy chow recipe that's perfect for fall!
Pumpkin Pie Chex Puppy Chow Recipe
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and 4 Tabelespoons of pumpkin pie spice in a big plastic storage bag. Close and shake to mix thoroughly. Set aside
- Melt 5oz of your white Wilton melting wafers. Melt the wafers in a microwave on 50% heat in 30 second intervals, while mixing in between or melt in a small sauce pan over low heat on the stove.
- Once the white melting wafers are completely melted, add 1/3 cup of pumpkin pie purée to the bowl and mix well.
- Add 3 Cups of rice Chex cereal to the pumpkin and white wafer mix and stir well but gently so the cereal doesn't get crushed.
- Stir to coat the cereal almost completely.
- Pour the coated cereal into the bag of powdered sugar and shake well until the powdered sugar coats the cereal.
- Pour the mix into a serving dish or bowl and add a few fall colored sprinkles. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1779kcal Calories from fat 285|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 32g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||48%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|