Apple basket sugar cookie cups are the perfect treat for fall. Not only are they easy to make but they are adorable fall decor for your kitchen.
I love fall and I love apple season. Growing up in Michigan, trips to cider mills and apple picking were always a fall must do activity.
Nevada doesn’t exactly have cider mills, though, so I have make my own fun. Having these little apple baskets sitting on the counter reminds me that it really is fall despite the 100 degrees outside.
The best part is that every apple is different in nature, so you shouldn’t worry too much about each apple looking the same.
Have fun with it! You can do all green, or all red, or mix it up with green and red apples or maybe even yellow for Golden Delicious apples.
Apple Basket Sugar Cookie Cups
Once they are baked, set the sugar cookie cups aside to cool completely.
Now, it’s time to make the apples. You can make three apples per Tootsie Roll and will need at least one extra green for the leaves.
Unwrap the ends of each Tootsie Roll, but leave the candy in the wrapper.
Microwave 2-3 Tootsie Rolls at a time for about 5-10 seconds in the wrapper.
Using a cutting board and sharp knife, cut a green or pink tootsie roll into three pieces. Roll each piece into a round shape. Set aside.
Cut a small piece of a chocolate tootsie roll and roll into a “snake.”
Cut the snake to make a small stem.
Insert a toothpick into the round apple and place the chocolate stem inside.
Flatten a small piece of green tootsie roll and cut a tiny triangle leaf.
Attach to stem.
[b]For the cookies:[/b]
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Apples:
- How to make apples:
- Chocolate Tootsie Rolls
- Tootsie Fruit Rolls, divided (green and pink)
- You can create three apples from one green or pink tootsie roll. You'll need a least 1 extra green for the leaves.
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
To Make the Sugar Cookie Cups:
- Heat oven to 350. Grease mini muffin pan.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda and baking powder and set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter with a mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl sides at least once during mixing. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Slowly add flour to mixture and mix until blended.
- Roll into 1" balls, place in muffin tin and using a pastry tart shaper, push into tins. If you don't have a tart shaper, you can use the back of a "half circle" tablespoon.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown. These freeze really well.
To Make the Apples:
- Microwave 2-3 red and green fruit Tootsie Rolls for about 5-10 seconds in the wrapper. I usually unwrap the ends before I microwave them, but I leave the candy in the wrapper.
- Using a cutting board and sharp knife, cut a green or pink tootsie roll into three pieces. Roll each piece into a round shape. Set aside.
- Cut a small piece of a chocolate tootsie roll and roll into a "snake." Cut the snake to make a small stem.
- Insert a toothpick into the round apple and place the chocolate stem inside. Flatten a small piece of green tootsie roll and cut a tiny triangle leaf. Attach to stem.
- Place in prepared, and completely cooled, sugar cookie cups and enjoy!
[dtbaker_banner text=”YOU WILL ALSO LOVE:” linkhref=”” type=”brush”]