Tomato soup is super easy to make. I like to make a huge batch and then freeze it for an easy lunch later. This tomato soup recipe is easy to make and uses everyday ingredients that won't require a special trip to the grocery store.
Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches are classic comfort foods. I recently discovered grilled bacon Chipotle pimento cheese sandwiches and they are my new favorite grilled cheese sandwich! But I needed a good homemade tomato soup to round them out. My favorite tomato soup is from the cafe in Nordstrom department store. I only discovered this extraordinary soup a few years ago and have been trying to replicate their tomato soup at home since. Some people like knock off purses, I like knock off recipes! I finally managed to find the perfect Nordstrom tomato soup knock off.
The trick to this tomato soup is in the basil and a lot of it. I definitely could tell that this was the flavor missing in other tomato soups I've make. Use dried basil, not fresh as it can handle the cooking time. I used crushed tomatoes, but whole tomatoes or even sauce would work. I also used homemade chicken broth that I had in the freezer, but store bought will work in a pinch. Heavy cream is preferable, but I'd use half and half if it's all I had on hand.
This recipe makes one gigantic batch of tomato soup, which worked for me because I froze two jars full. But feel free to pare it down if you aren't feeding a small army. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches or garlic pull apart bread and a nice spinach salad for a meal full of flavor.
Not a fan of tomato soup? Check out my New England Clam Chowder recipe or Italian Wedding Soup recipe for other quick and easy meals.
Tomato Soup: My Nordstrom Knockoff
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 6 small or 4 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 heaping Tablespoon dried basil
- 3, 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In a very large stock pot, heat olive oil until shimmering.
- Add carrots and onion and cook until softened, 10 minutes.
- Add basil and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Cook for 20-45 minutes depending on how much time you have.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup in the pot or remove (carefully!) to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove pot from heat. If you are freezing any soup, freeze at this point. When ready to cook, re-warm and then continue with the recipe.
- Slowly add cream until you get the desired consistency. Turn heat on low and warm soup through.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 327kcal Calories from fat 253|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 28g||43%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This article may contain affiliate links.