Slow cooker whole chicken and potatoes with vegetables is an easy dinner that’s ready when you are.
One of my favorite ways to cook a whole chicken is in a slow cooker. Add potatoes and vegetables and dinner is ready when you are. This is a slow cooker recipe can be set in the morning and cook all day long. It’s great for week days, busy weekends and even Sunday dinner.
Start by placing the vegetables on the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Substitute small potatoes in place of the sliced potatoes, if desired.
Season the chicken with herbs and spices. I used a pre-made garlic mix, but homemade Italian dressing mix works well. I also like paprika and garlic. Feel free to change it up! You can also pull up the skin a little and work the seasonings under the skin. Also put some inside the cavity.
Once the chicken is seasoned, place it on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
After 6 hours the chicken will be cooked and fairly easy to transfer to a baking dish, but it will be very tender after 8 hours. If you don’t care about crisping the skin, go for 8 hours.
To crisp up the skin, remove the chicken to a baking dish and put under the broiler for a few minutes.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe with Vegetables
6 hrCook Time
6 hrTotal Time
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chicken
- Baby carrots
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 potatoes cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Remove giblets from chicken, if it has them. Rub desired seasonings all over the skin of the chicken. Use seasonings like thyme, tarragon, garlic, rosemary, etc.
- Scatter the potatoes over the bottom of the slow cooker. Add in the carrots and onions. Add the chicken on top.
- Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the juices from the chicken run clear when pierced with a fork. The longer it cooks, the more tender the chicken gets. Transfer the chicken and the vegetables to a baking dish.
- Broil the chicken for a few minutes until the skin is brown and crisp. Cut the chicken and serve.
Check out the all the recipes from the 30 Day Slow Cooking Challenge!
Easy Chicken Recipes
This article may contain affiliate links.