Turn a can of store bought cinnamon rolls into a fun Christmas breakfast with these easy Santa Hat Cinnamon rolls. Quick and easy to make on Christmas morning!
Cinnamon rolls have always been a family favorite on Christmas morning to tide over hungry bellies while we open presents. Growing up, we always made a can of cinnamon rolls to eat.
While I love making homemade cinnamon rolls, I also don’t want to spend the morning in the kitchen rising and baking cinnamon rolls. Instead you can use a can or two of store cinnamon rolls and turn them into Santa Hats!
Santa Hat Cinnamon Rolls for Christmas
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Open the package of cinnamon rolls and discard the packaging. Keep the included icing and set aside. You can use any brand of cinnamon roll you like best. We like Annie’s Cinnamon Rolls for a larger size, but these rolls may do better with the smaller size of Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls.
Carefully unroll each cinnamon roll and then gently zig-zag them back and forth so they resemble an upside down triangle. This is the exact same shape we used to make Cinnamon Roll Christmas Trees. You can mix and match styles for a fun platter of Christmas cinnamon rolls.
Place the cinnamon rolls 2-3″ a part on a baking sheet. Give them lots of room to bake and not touch. Bake 12-14 minutes or according to the package instructions.
Once the rolls are golden brown and baked through, remove from the oven. Allow to cool on baking sheet. You can move them to a cooling rack after about 2-3 minutes if you prefer.
While the cinnamon rolls cool, prepare the icing. Add a few drops of red food coloring to the icing and stir to combine. We like to use gel food coloring especially when using red. It helps to get a true red rather than a pink icing.
Frost each cinnamon roll with red icing. Cut the mini marshmallows in half. It’s easiest to do this with a pair of kitchen shears. Put 1 mini marshmallow halve on the top of each Santa Hat.
Complete the hate by adding 5-6 mini marshmallow halves on the bottom of the cinnamon roll for the rim of Santa’s Hat.
- (1) 8-10 ct package of cinnamon rolls, any brand
- Red food coloring
- Mini marshmallows, cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Open the package of cinnamon rolls and discard the packaging.
- Carefully unroll each cinnamon roll and then gently zig-zag them back and forth so they resemble an upside down triangle. Repeat with all the cinnamon rolls.
- Place the cinnamon rolls 2-3" a part on a baking sheet.
- Bake 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring to the icing that came with the cinnamon rolls and stir to combine.
- Frost each cinnamon roll with red icing.
- Place (1) mini marshmallow halve on the top of the Santa Hat and then 5-6 mini marshmallow halves on the bottom of the cinnamon roll for the rim of Santa's Hat.
- Repeat with all cinnamon rolls.