Chocolate gelato is a fun alternative to chocolate ice cream. If you need to avoid dairy, this dairy free chocolate gelato is a great alternative. Just a few simple ingredients and some time in the freezer results in a super rich and delectable dessert.
When I saw that this week’s Sunday Supper was all about “Free” recipes, I almost decided to skip it. We are very fortunate to be food allergy free in our home so I don’t have many recipes without sensitive ingredients. Then I remembered this chocolate gelato recipe I made a few years ago. The recipe really threw me for a loop because aside from some chopped up chocolate, it didn’t contain any other dairy. With this week’s “Free for All” theme, I decided to go ahead and make this recipe completely dairy free.
I originally used chopped up milk chocolate for this gelato. This time I substituted dairy free mini chocolate chips for the regular milk chocolate. I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips that are dairy, nut and soy free. I actually had these in the house as they are my preferred chocolate chips because they are soy free. I try to avoid soy out of GMO concerns – not because of allergies.
I honestly didn’t notice any difference in the gelato when using the dairy free chocolate. If you aren’t dairy free, this would be a great recipe to make when you want homemade ice cream, but don’t have any “fancy” dairy products in the house. It is very, very rich so small servings are better. This is best if eaten with a day or two of making or ice crystals form on the gelato.
- 1 cup diary free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Put the milk chocolate and cocoa in a blender or food processor.
- Bring water and sugar to a simmer in small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Pour the hot syrup in to the blender/processor. Pulse 4-5 times until the mixture is smooth, but not foamy.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts and salt and pulse once more to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until very cold.
- Whisk the chocolate mixture, then transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.
- Pour mixture in to an air tight container and freeze until firm (at least 2 hours).
Don’t forget to check out the rest of this week’s “Free For All” Sunday Supper recipes!
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding by girlichef
- Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe by Masala Herb
- Gluten Free Nothing Missing Manicotti by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Sun-Dried Tomato & Feta Meatballs over Courgette Noodles by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Gluten Free Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Balsamic Portobello Burgers by Curious Cuisinere
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Nut Free Mushroom Risotto Bake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Vegan Mac and “Cheese” by Webicurean
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Creamy Mushrooms on Pasta by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Enoki Mushroom & Pine Nut Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Gluten Free Persian Cucumber Yogurt by Shockingly Delicious
- Gluten Free Quinoa with Olives, Basil and Sun-dried Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- Dairy Free Farro and Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Dairy Free Fattoush Salad by From the Bookshelf
- Gluten Free Chickpea Fritters by The Lovely Pantry
- Dairy, Egg, and Gluten Free Black Bean and Mango Salad by Soni’s Food
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, and Nut Free Grilled Fennel Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Dairy & Gluten Free French Bread by Blueberries and Blessings
- Dairy & Gluten Free Crunchy Almond Sesame Crackers by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dairy & Gluten Free Individual Chocolate Pavlovas by The Girl in The Little Red Kitchen
- Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies by Juanita’s Cocina
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Apple Almond Butter Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairy Free Chocolate Gelato by Growing Up Gabel
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Sugar Free Cantaloupe, Strawberry, & Coconut Gazpacho by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Meringue Kisses with Dulce de Lece by Basic N Delicious
- Dairy & Egg Free Vegan Everyday Chocolate Loaf by Gotta Get Baked
- Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Coconut Macaroons by Happy Baking Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Soy Free Tastes like Chocolate Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Gluten Free Mousse & Cookies by Ninja Baking
- Gluten Free Brown Butter Snickerdooles by Pies and Plots
- Dairy, Egg & Soy Free Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gluten Free Lemonade Dip by The Messy Baker
- Nut & Fat Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake by Table for Seven
- Gluten & Dairy Free Honey Bear Smoothies by Neighborfood
- Sugar Free Strawberry Meyer Lemonade by The Weekend Gourmet
Don’t forget to join us tonight at 7 PM EDT for our #SundaySupper Twitter Chat!This article may contain affiliate links.