Need an easy dinner recipe? Cavetini supreme is an old family tradition I turned in to a new family dinner recipe. This baked pasta recipe is quick and easy to make.
If you grew up in the 80’s then you probably remember going in to Pizza Hut and sitting down to eat. They also usually had a fantastic salad bar as well as several pasta dishes on the menu. One of those dishes was the Cavetini Supreme, a baked pasta dish. Since then Cavetini Supreme has been taken off the menu and in fact very few sit down Pizza Huts even remain. But this pasta dish will remind you of the Pizza Hut days of glory.
The ingredients for cavetini are probably all in your house already. Pasta, ground beef, onions, cheese and of course, sauce. You can use store bought pasta sauce or homemade sauce. Sicillian Marinara Sauce Recipe is delicious in pasta dishes.
The original cavetini had three pastas in it – rotini, shell and wagon wheels. If you can’t find the wagon wheels just go with rotini and shells.
Cook the pasta and prepare the ground beef mixture. Get out a really big mixing bowl and add all the ingredients except the cheese. Gently mix it all together to combine. Feel free to adjust the amount of sauce used in the cavetini. Start with one jar and see how you like it. Then add more as you want.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes. A round casserole dish was too deep and small for the cavetini so try a 9 x 13 pan. Toss a salad while the pasta bakes for an easy side dish. Once the cheese is melted and gooey on top, it’s ready to eat.
My 6 year old son said this is the best pasta ever! I told him it was his grandpa’s favorite pasta dish and my son said it’s his too. An old family tradition passed on to the next generation right in my own kitchen.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound small shell pasta, cooked
- 1/2 pound rotini, cooked
- 1 1/2 - 2 jars pasta sauce
- 3 ounces (more or less to taste) pepperoni
- 2 4 oz can mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon oil and heat. Saute onions and green peppers for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and sausage and cook until done. Remover from heat and drain.
- In a very large bowl gently stir together ground beef mixture, cooked pastas, spaghetti sauce, pepperoni and mushrooms.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 pan or very large baking dish. Spread cheese on top and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and browning.