I love buffalo chicken – anywhere and in any form! I also love slow cookers so put the two together and in my book, I have the perfect combination. This is a super easy slow cooker meal that is also easy to freeze so you can make two dinners at once.
Lately I’ve been all about using my slow cookers. Yes, plural – I have four and I use every single one. My favorite and most used slow cooker is a Hamilton Beach 6-quart programmable slow cooker. I love how big it is and that I can program it. The trick to cooking in a slow cooker, however, is to fill the slow cooker 2/3 full. So sometimes I need smaller options so I also own a red 4 quart oval Crock-Pot and an even smaller, and much older, 2-1/2-quart Crock Pot. Just for fun, I also have a Little Dipper. For this recipe I used the 2 1/2 quart slow cooker because I knew it would be the perfect fit for just meat and sauce.
In addition to slow cookers, I also love buffalo sauce and putting the two together is just about the perfect combination for me. I saw this recipe and knew I wanted to make it, but I chose to make it entirely from scratch making my own buffalo sauce and using spices instead of a ranch dressing mix packet. These sandwiches are not only delicious, but the recipe makes plenty of chicken so after eating buffalo chicken sandwiches for three days, I put half the recipe in the freezer for later.
My husband didn’t care for the bleu cheese cream cheese topping, but I loved it. I also noticed that adding the butter after the chicken had finished with the first round of cooking really decreased the heat of the buffalo sauce. So if the buffalo chicken is tasting a bit spicy for your clan, add the butter, but if you like it a little hot, I’d skip it.
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 2½ recipes of homemade buffalo sauce or 2 cups bottled buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Cream Cheese
- Bleu Cheese
- Place chicken in the crock of a slow cooker.
- Pour buffalo sauce over chicken.
- Mix together parsley, black pepper, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme. Sprinkle over chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, shred chicken in crock.
- Add 2 Tablespoons butter to the chicken and stir. Cook for an additional hour on low.
- Meanwhile, mix together cream cheese and bleu cheese in desired amounts.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on bread or buns and add chicken. Top with another side of bread or bun to make a sandwich.
Adapted from Miss Information.