Try this delicious Mexican vegetarian casserole recipe for Meatless Monday. Made with just three ingredients, it’s ready to eat in under 30 minutes.
My family is far from vegetarian. We all love bacon and a good steak. But over the last few years I’ve been trying to find more meatless recipes to cut back on our meat consumption. I struggle to find meatless recipes that we all like and that are easy to cook.
The new Birds Eye® Protein Blends caught my attention as being a pretty easy way to cook a meatless meal using other ingredients I already had on hand. The Birds Eye® Protein Blends add the power of protein to your vegetable side. They are available in four varieties: Southwest Style, California Style, Italian Style, and Asian Style. They are available at Walmart and most grocery stores. I picked up the Southwest Style and California Style to see if I could whip up a meatless dish quickly and easily.
I decided to play around with the idea of a Mexican vegetarian casserole. Who doesn’t love a little cheese and enchilada sauce? I debated whether or not to add some chicken or ground beef. But, I wanted this to be an easy recipe. The Birds Eye® Protein Blends are already full of protein, whole grains, and veggies, and I wanted to really just enhance what is already there.
Empty the Birds Eye® Protein Blends into a skillet. This is a pretty small skillet and it’ll feed 1-2 people. So use two bags and a bigger skillet to serve more. The package calls for water but I substituted enchilada sauce instead.
Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat just until everything is heated up. The blend comes with a sauce of its own, so make sure that it has melted and heated through as well. You could totally eat it just like this. But I wanted cheese. So I topped it with cheese and broiled it.
Once the cheese is melted and bubbling, remove from the oven. Let it cool for about 5-10 minutes. Then top with shredded lettuce, onions, tomatoes, cilantro – whatever sounds good.
So yummy! And it was ready in about 15 to 20 minutes. With all the beans and lentils, there was no need to add any meat at all. This was a quick and easy vegetarian casserole recipe!
Mexican Vegetarian Casserole Recipe
Try this delicious Mexican vegetarian casserole recipe. Just three ingredients, and it’s ready to eat in under 30 minutes.
- 1 bag Birds Eye® Protein Blend, Southwest Style
- Enchilada sauce in the amount of water called for on the Birds Eye package
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped onions, cilantro for toppings (Optional)
- Empty the Birds Eye® Protein Blends into a skillet. Add enchilada sauce in the amount of water called for on the package.
- Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat just until everything is heated up. The blend comes with a sauce of its own, so make sure that it has melted and heated through as well.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. Put under a broiler.
- Once the cheese is melted and bubbling, remove it from the oven. Let it cool for about 5-10 minutes. Then top with shredded lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and cilantro - whatever sounds good - and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 593mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 28g
Sounds so yummy! Is there a step missing in directions?
Let me know, because I want to make this!!!
Camille Gabel says
Yes! Thank you for catching that. I just fixed it.
IGGY FAN says
I just recently bought this and was looking for a way to make enchiladas out of it. I also thought it would make a great vegetarian dip or taco. I did not think of using enchilada sauce in place of the water. Brilliant idea. Thank-you!