Homemade popcorn balls are an easy and fun treat that kids love to make and eat. This recipe uses marshmallows to help the popcorn balls stay together. Pop up some popcorn and enjoy a fun afternoon treat with your family!
Apparently popcorn balls are a family tradition. I recently discovered that my mother made them every fall with her parents and siblings. I’ve been wanting to make popcorn balls for years, but never got around to it so this was the perfect excuse. So when my daughter saw someone on TV make popcorn balls and then asked to make them, I decided it was time to try them out.
There are three basic ways to make popcorn balls sticky: marshmallows, corn syrup or caramel, but probably not homemade caramel sauce. This recipe is basically a marshmallow recipe with a little corn syrup thrown in to make the popcorn balls sturdier. In general, though, these popcorn balls are more on the soft side. If you don’t relish the thought of getting sticky, I’d suggest heading over to the homemade caramel corn recipe instead because making popcorn balls is one messy,but fun, task!
I put my popcorn in a large roasting pan and then poured the marshmallow mixture over it. Make sure to grease your hands really well with butter! The mixture gets stickier as it cools so you have to work pretty quickly. To make the balls, push the popcorn together in your hand rather than “rolling” it around. These kept pretty well for a few days when wrapped well in plastic wrap.
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup marshmallows (large)
- 18-20 cups popped popcorn
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine corn syrup butter,water, sugar and marshmallows.
- Heat and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Carefully pour mixture over popcorn and stir to coat.
- Grease hands (VERY WELL) with shortening or butter and quickly shape in to balls.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
This article may contain affiliate links.