Instant pot mashed potatoes are hands down the best-mashed potatoes! Easy to make and totally versatile, this will become your new favorite way to make mashed potatoes.
Making mashed potatoes in an electric pressure cooker is going to change your life. Seriously! If you don’t use your Instant Pot for anything but mashed potatoes, you are still ahead. Making mashed potatoes on the stovetop always felt like a chore. But in the Instant Pot, they are so easy!
This recipe calls for 5 pounds of potatoes, but you can make mashed potatoes the same way with more or fewer potatoes All the directions remain the same. It may be easier to count how many potatoes you expect each person to eat if you are only feeding a few people.
You can use any kind of potatoes you like. Yukon Gold is our favorite for mashed potatoes. But really, any potatoes will work. We have not tried this with sweet potatoes or yams, though.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
- Potatoes – You can use any kind of potatoes you like, but we love Yukon Gold (or “yellow potatoes”) for mashed potatoes.
- Sour cream
- Milk – or half-and-half or heavy cream – depends on how decadent you want to be!
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Directions:
Scrub, peel, and slice potatoes. Want to make this faster? Just keep the skins on! We call these “dirty” mashed potatoes.
Put potatoes into the electric pressure cooker. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes.
Cover and seal the electric pressure cooker. Set to cook on “manual” or “pressure cook” for 8 minutes. Carefully release the pressure with a “quick release” once the 8 minutes is up.
Once the pressure is released, open the top. Drain the potatoes well in a colander in the sink. Put the potatoes back in the pressure cooker or a large mixing bowl.
If you use a potato ricer, as pictured, you will want to rice the potatoes at this point. Add the butter to the potatoes. It’s best to let it melt completely but you don’t have to. Add the milk, sour cream, salt and pepper, and garlic powder.
Use a hand mixer or a potato masher to cream the potatoes. If the potatoes are priced, just mix it all together. The trick to really creamy mashed potatoes is to add more milk. Start with the 1/2 cup in the recipe but add more as needed to get those spuds nice and creamy.
- 5 pounds potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and sliced into chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Put potatoes into the liner of the electric pressure cooker. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Cover with water.
- Cover and seal the electric pressure cooker. Set to cook on “manual” or “pressure cook” for 8 minutes. Carefully release the pressure with a “quick release.”
- Drain the potatoes well. Return to Instant Pot.
- Press potatoes through a potato ricer if using a potato ricer.
- Add butter to the potatoes and allow to melt.
- Add the sour cream, milk, garlic and pepper.
- Mix together with a potato masher or hand held mixer.