Make pumpkin sandwich cookies with cream cheese filling using a doctored up pumpkin cookie mix and cream cheese frosting.
Pumpkin and cream cheese go together like peanut butter and jelly and are two favorite flavors of fall. So of course, they had to be made into sandwich cookies.
Sandwich cookies take a bit of time and work because you have to basically make double the cookies. We made it easier by starting with a cookie mix pouch and adding a little more fall spice to it. Then we used a store bought frosting for the filling. Cheating? Maybe a little but they are delicious!
Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Cream Cheese Filling
Add the pumpkin cookie mix to a large mixing bowl.
Stir in pumpkin pie spice, ginger and cinnamon and mix well.
Add softened butter, egg and vanilla to the bowl. Work the dough with the back of a spoon.
When you start mixing, the dough will seem dry and crumbly.
Continue to work it until a stiff dough forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Once the dough is chilled, it’s time to bake. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Use a tablespoon portion scoop to scoop the dough into the palm of your hand. Roll the dough into a ball. Repeat until you have 32 balls.
Place the balls on baking sheets 2″ apart. You will need a few baking sheets and rotate them for baking. Bake the cookies for 8-11 minutes or until set.
Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Once cookies are cool, add a dollop of store bought cream cheese frosting and top with another cookie. You could also make a batch of homemade cream cheese frosting if you want to fill them with that.
Repeat until all cookies are turned into sandwiches. You should have 16 sandwich cookies total.
- 1 package, 17.5 oz, Pumpkin Spice Cookie Mix
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup, 1 stick, butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tub, 16 oz, cream cheese frosting
- Add cookie mix to a large bowl.
- Stir in pumpkin pie spice, ginger and cinnamon and mix well.
- Add butter, egg and vanilla and work dough with the back of a spoon. The dough will seem dry and crumbly. Continue to work it until a dough forms.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a tablespoon portion scoop to scoop dough into the palm of your hand and roll into 32 balls.
- Place the balls on baking sheet 2" apart.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes or until set. Let set on cookie sheet for 1 minute before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies are cool, add a dollop of frosting and top with another cookie. Repeat until all cookies are turned into sandwiches.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 0gSugar: 27gProtein: 2g