This easy holiday party recipe shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Be the star of holiday gatherings with this chipotle party mix made right in your slow cooker! Cereal, pretzels, crackers and nuts are mixed with seasonings, including Chipotle Tabasco, and then cooked in the slow cooker.
For many people baking sweet treats for Christmas is a yearly tradition. I even enjoy baking and making candies and cookies and fudge in December. But for me it's just not Christmas without a snack party mix. My mom would make a 5 gallon tub full of snack party mix every single Christmas. We'd spend the month of December eating the party mix at parties, while wrapping presents, or watching our favorite Christmas movies. It's just not Christmas without it! I've carried on this tradition making this easy holiday recipe with my own family and they eagerly await the party mix every year.
My mom always stuck to the traditional party mix recipe, but I like to try new variations. Every year I do something a little different and compare notes with my sister, who also makes the mix. This year I decided to play around with Tabasco in the party mix. Did you know that Tabasco sauce comes in a whole slew of fun flavors? I had no idea! There are so many options here for making a savory, smoky, party mix!
I picked up the Tabasco sauces at Winco. I love Winco's bulk food section and that's also where I picked up the fill ins for my Chipotle party mix. The Tabasco sauce was in the condiment aisle and I picked up the Original Red, green Jalapeno, and Chipotle flavored sauces. I wasn't quite sure which one I wanted to use so I just got them all! I found the Tabasco sauces on the very top shelf next to the ketchup.
I make my party mix in my slow cooker because I think it's easier, but you can also make it in the oven. The recipe is very flexible. You can mix and match the cereal and other mix ins to meet your family's likes and allergy needs. My kids don't like nuts in their party mix so I usually make a few batches without nuts. For this batch I used a mix of three cereals, fish crackers, deluxe mixed nuts and pretzels.
It was so hard to decide which Tabasco sauce to use, but I love chipotle flavor so I opted for that one. I was really tempted to use the green jalapeno Tabasco sauce and go with a jalapeno and cheddar mix, too. Don't worry if you think the Tabasco will make your party mix spicy – it won't! It adds a nice smoky flavor and really enhances the party mix. Even my kids ate it and they do not like “spicy” food. You can also feel free to add more or less Tabasco to add the right amount of flavor. I used 2 teaspoons in a half batch and it was the perfect smoky flavor without any real heat.
We really do take this party mix everywhere during the holidays! My friends and family now ask me when I'm bringing some over and it's often the centerpiece of our holiday festivities.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Party Mix
Slow Cooker Chipotle Party Mix Holiday Party Recipe
- 9 cups TOTAL of your choice of square cereal
- 2-3 cups TOTAL of your choice of mix ins such as mixed nuts, peanuts, crackers, cereal, or pretzels
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons homemade seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4-6 (or more) teaspoons Tabasco Chipotle or other flavor Tabasco sauce
- Turn slow cooker on high and place butter in the crock. Place cover on slow cooker and allow butter to melt.
- Once the butter is soft and mostly melted, stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic and onion powder and Tabasco sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add the cereal and other mix ins in to the crock and stir well to coat in the butter and seasoning mixture.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes. Stir the mixture well so the bottom doesn't burn. Replace lid and cook for another 20 minutes on low. Stir once again. If the mixture still needs to cook, check it every 20 minutes and stir. Some pieces on the bottom may burn but my kids like those the best.
- Once mix is done, pour it out on to a cookie sheet to cool. Store in an air tight container.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 4203kcal Calories from fat 2271|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 252g||388%|
|Saturated Fat 69g||345%|
|Dietary Fiber 84g||336%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thanks to #CollectiveBias and their advertiser for sponsoring this #SeasonedGreetings post! This article may contain affiliate links.