Blueberry hand pies are a fun summer dessert great for picnics!
Blueberries are one of my favorite things about summer. I eat them on everything! Pancakes, muffins, cereal, cocktails and especially pies are regular summer food around here.
One of my favorite blueberry desserts is blueberry pie. It also happens to be my husband's favorite type of pie. So I make at least one pie each summer.
I got a little behind this summer and didn't get around to a whole pie. I wanted a fun treat for the kids lunch the first week of school. Heart shaped hand pies are great for lunches, picnics or any on the go meal.
Baked Blueberry Hand Pies
To fill the hand pies, I used the blueberry filling from our Easy Blueberry Tart Recipe, which is a great recipe on it's own! The filling is delicious so I stuck with that.
We used a basic homemade pie crust, but a store bought crust would work just fine, too. This is a butter pie crust, but any pie crust will work.
Roll the dough to 1/8″ thickness on a floured surface. Make the hand pies in any shape you'd like. I went with hearts.
Use a heart shaped cutter to cut the dough. Remove the excess dough. You will need two hearts for each pie.
Use a brush to add an egg wash to half of the hearts. It's tempting to skip the egg wash, but don't. Not only does it help to seal the pies closed, but it also adds a shiny finish to the pies.
Place filling on each of the hearts. Don't over fill. Well, you can over fill, but the blueberry will ooze out the edges. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just not as pretty.
Now stretch the remaining hearts gently with your fingers and place on top of the filled hearts. Seal edges with fork tines and add another swipe of egg wash to the top.
Bake on parchment lined baking sheet for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
The blueberries will make their juice as they bake and there may be some seeping of the juices. Just adjust the filling as needed.
A powdered sugar glaze would be delicious on top of these hand pies, too!
- 1 filling recipe from our Easy Blueberry Tart Recipe
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2-2/3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 stick butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7-10 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon cold water
- Preheat oven to 400, prepare a parchment lined baking sheet
For the Filing:
- Prepare as directed. Set aside in bowl.
For the Crust:
- Add flour, sugar, salt and butter in a food processor. Process for about 30 seconds until crumbly.
- Add 5 tablespoons of water and process. Continue to add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms.
- Remove from food processor and divide dough in half.
- Cover one half and place into the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Roll the dough to 1/8" thickness on a floured surface. Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut the dough. Remove the excess dough and use a brush to add an egg wash to half of the hearts.
- Place filling on each of those hearts.
- Stretch the remaining hearts gently with your fingers and place on top of the filled hearts.
- Seal edges with fork tines and add another swipe of egg wash to the top.
- Bake on parchment lined baking sheet for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110 Carbohydrates: 24g Protein: 3g