Blueberry coffee cake with a crumb topping made with fresh blueberries has a crunchy top and a soft center full of berries!
It seems like coffee cakes are from a by-gone era along with scones. But they are such easy and delicious treats to have on hand for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or dessert. This blueberry coffee cake is absolutely amazing. The crunchy crumb top gives way toa soft and moist center that is bursting with blueberries. You’ll want to keep it on hand every day.
Fresh Blueberry Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping
Blueberry Coffee Cake Ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- White sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9×9 baking pan and set aside. In a small bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt and mix well. Set aside.
In a larger mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together with a mixer. Beat until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl down halfway through.
Next, add the egg and vanilla and beat well. Have you ever tried making homemade vanilla extract? It’s super easy and makes a great gift!
Next, you will alternate adding in the flour mixture and milk. Add a little of the flour mixture and beat just until combined. Then add a little milk and beat just until combined. Do this a total of 3-4 times alternating between the two and only beating until just combined.
Place the fresh blueberries in a bowl. Toss them with 2 tablespoons of flour. The flour helps the blueberries not fall to the bottom of the cake. If you skip the flour, they will all be at the very bottom of the coffee cake. So don’t skip it!
Fold the flour-coated blueberries into the coffee cake batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and set aside while you make the topping.
To make the crumb topping, put flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk.
Add the butter. Use a pastry blender, or two forks, to cut butter into mixture until small peas form.
Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the batter in the cake pan. Bake the blueberry coffee cake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the coffee cake stand to cool almost completely before serving.
Cut into 9 squares and serve warm.
Coffee Cake Ingredients
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, washed
Coffee Cake Topping Ingredients
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 9x9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt and mix well. Set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together with a mixer. Beat until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl down halfway through. Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Add flour and milk, alternating between mixing and just until combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons flour with blueberries and toss well. Fold into batter. Pour into prepared pan and set aside while you combine the topping.
- Add flour, sugar and cinnamon to a bowl and mix well. Use a pastry blender, or two forks, to cut butter into mixture until small peas form. Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake for 45-55 minuts or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand to cool almost completely. Cut into 9 squares and serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 441mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 5g