Carrot muffins are great for breakfast or a snack. These spiced carrot muffins go the extra mile by also adding a little vegetable to an otherwise sweet treat. Just a few basic ingredients, a lot of fun spice, and about 30 minutes will get you a delicious and easy treat that even your kids will love.
I made these muffins when I was a member of the Secret Recipe Club when I was assigned the blog Samayalaria. I was really excited to be assigned a blog that is so different from mine. And a little worried about converting grams and Gas Marks in to something I knew, but a challenge is fun! I spent a lot of time perusing Samaylaria and found so many different foods that I’ve never been exposed to. There is also a slew of eggless recipes if you need to avoid eggs. I was determined to make something new and exciting!
In the end, I was not adventurous at all. I finally decided to make carrot spice muffins because it was morning and I needed breakfast. Plus I love sneaking veggies in to “cupcakes” for the kids. These were so delicious and my kids loved them! I really liked the flavor from all the spices. These muffins are perfect for a quick breakfast on Easter morning, too.
I did make a few changes to the recipe. I didn’t have any yogurt or buttermilk so I used sour cream instead. I left out cardamom because all I have are whole pods and I didn’t feel like pulverizing them. I’ve included salt in the recipe, but I’m listing it as optional. These were almost too salty for me so next time I’d add just a pinch at the very most. Feel free to mix in some add ins – my kids are picky so I just used carrots.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional, not recommended)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- a pinch of all spice
- a pinch of ground ginger
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup sour cream (yogurt or buttermilk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Optional add ins: shredded coconut, raisins, nuts
- In a small bowl stir together carrots, sugar, oil, sour cream, vanilla, eggs and any mix ins.
- In a larger bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and all spice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Mixture will be very thick.
- Fill cups of muffin tin ⅔-3/4 full with batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.