Slow Cooker Bread: Easy Dinner Rolls
Making bread in your slow cooker is an easy way to have fresh bread without using the oven. These easy no knead dinner rolls will be ready in no time and your family will love them!
Oh yes, you read that title correctly – bread in your slow cooker. The other night I baked dinner rolls in my slow cooker! Ok, to be perfectly sincere, I baked the rolls in the slow cooker and then browned them up under the broiler.
The fact that I can now make dinner rolls in something other than the oven is stupendous. Think Thanksgiving here, folks. One less side dish that needs precious oven space. Besides, it’s just fun to bake bread in your slow cooker.
I decided to make bread in the slow cooker with a no knead bread recipe. You can use any one you like, and there are several available, but my favorite is from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I highly, highly recommend this book. It will change your bread making forever as you are popping out artisan loaves from your oven that cost $5/loaf at the store … and they taste better!
I used a 6 quart slow cooker and get around seven good sized rolls.
These are absolutely delicious and they held up the next day, too. I can’t say how long they last because ours were gone within 24 hours.
- 1½ cups warm water
- ¾ Tablespoons yeast
- ¾ Tablespoons sea salt
- 3-3½ cups flour
- Melted Butter
- In a mixing bowl stir together water, yeast and salt.
- Add flour and mix to combine. The dough will be pretty sticky.
- Cover dough and let rise until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and use immediately or re-cover and refrigerate until use.
- When ready to bake:
- Line a large slow cooker with greased parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 8 equal sections.
- Form dough in to balls and place in slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and bake on high for around 1 hour. Your time for baking may vary -- mine took closer to 1½ hours.
- Rolls are done when they are set and no longer sticky. The rolls will be soft.
- Brush tops of rolls with butter or oil and broil until crust is crispy and brown.
This post contains affiliate links