Slow cooker barbecue chicken reminds me of a lazy Sunday supper on a hot summer day. Chicken pieces are browned and then cooked in the slow cooker. Cover with a thick and rich homemade barbecue sauce to top it all off. The best part is that slow cooker barbecue chicken all cooks in the slow cooker while you enjoy your day.
It seems kind of silly to be making barbecue chicken in the house and not on the grill during the summer. But I was leafing through a Taste of Home magazine and saw this recipe. The saucy barbecue chicken just looked so delicious! The recipe, however, had you bake the chicken in the oven. Since I turn on my oven as little as possible during the hot months, I thought I’d try barbecue chicken in the slow cooker.
I was worried about the barbecue sauce becoming too watered down in the slow cooker. So I cooked the chicken first, drained the crock, and then added the barbecue sauce in just long enough to heat it all up. I left the sauce in for about 45 minutes because we were out running errands, but I think next time I’d go with 30 minutes. I also doubled the sauce ingredients as given below because I wanted to make sure to have plenty of sauce and there was. I served the chicken with rice so we’d have something to eat with the barbecue sauce.
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 3-4 pounds chicken thighs
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Brown both sides of chicken. Place chicken in the crock of slow cooker big enough to fit all your chicken and be 2/3 full.
- Cook on high in slow cooker for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes on high or until chicken is cooked through. Drain most of the liquid out of the crock of the slow cooker.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Saute onions in butter until softened. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix. Allow sauce to come to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker. Replace cover and cook on high for another 45 minutes.
Adapted from Taste of Home magazine.