Twice baked potatoes are one of those dishes that I absolutely love, but that I have never bothered making because they just seem like too much work. At the end of the day just getting the main dish on the table can be a chore so fancy side dishes never even make it on to the plan. Twice baked potatoes aren't really difficult, they just take some planning ahead!
I used very large russet potatoes for these. For some reason, I had more “insides” than could fit in the potatoes. I just baked the extra in small dish.
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 large potatoes, around 1 pound each
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4-6 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Chopped green onion (optional)
- Chives (optional)
- Scrub potatoes and dry off and then prick potatoes liberally with a fork.
- Rub potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake potatoes either on a cookie sheet or directly on the oven rack at 425 degrees for about an hour or until soft. Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool.
- Slice off top third of potato lengthwise.
- Carefully remove insides of potato leaving about 1/4 inch of potato on the skin.
- In a bowl combine scooped out potatoes, sour cream, milk, and butter. Use a potato masher to mash the mixture together.
- Stir in bacon, cheese, chives and green onion reserving a small amount of each to put on top of potatoes.
- Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 627kcal Calories from fat 261|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 29g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||70%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This article may contain affiliate links.