A holiday favorite, pecan pie is one of the easiest pies to make from scratch. Pecans are mixed in butter sugar mixture and then baked until set. This version of pecan pie adds in chocolate and caramel for a delicious Turtle Pecan Pie variation on the holiday classic.
I love planning holiday meals. My sister and I will sit down in mid-October to start planning Thanksgiving and Christmas. We each have our favorite dishes to make, and one of mine is pecan pie. Pecan pie is one of the easiest pies to make homemade. If you use a store-bought crust, you can have a homemade pecan pie in the oven in about 5 minutes. For this version of pecan pie, I decided to add chocolate and caramel to make one of my favorite candies, Turtles, into a delicious holiday pie.
I made a pretty basic pecan pie filling with butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. The recipe makes enough to fill two smaller pie shells or one large, deep dish pie. I usually make my crust from scratch so I can make a deeper pie, but this time I bought a package of frozen pie shells at Dollar General just to save some time.
Fill your crust up to the top if making one pie or divide the filling even between two pies. The filling wont expand so you can top off the pie shell. Just becareful when transporting it to the oven! I bake mine on a cookie sheet to make it easier to move in and out of the oven without spilling.
Let the pie bake for about an hour until the middle is set. You need to let it cool completely before cutting. I picked up a gold charger to serve the pie on since I’d baked it on just a tin. I htink it makes the pie look festive and fancy!
I added chocolate chips to the pie before I baked it and then drizzled it with caramel sauce to get the chocolate, caramel, pecan flavors need for a Turtle Pecan Pie. It was delicious! Check out more Dollar General Easy Meals to make your holidays delicious and simple. You can follow Dollar General on Facebook, Dollar General on Pinterest, and Dollar General on Instagram, too.
- 2 9 inch unbaked pie crust, homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 heaping cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Homemade caramel sauce (or store bought)
- Pre-bake pie crust if the directions on the crust indicate to do so.
- In a large bowl combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt, and vanilla. Mix well. Gently stir in pecans and chocolate chips. Use a minimum of 1 cup of pecans and up to 2 cups, depending on your taste. Pour into pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until center is set. Let cool completely before serving.
- Slice to serve and drizzle with caramel sauce and whipped cream, if desired.
This recipe will make 2 store bought pie crusts in the tins. It will make 1 deep dish or larger pie. I prefer to fill up my pies right to the top so I usually make 1 pie and have some left over to make tarts or just a smaller pie.