I’ve been perusing carbonara recipes for months. The combination of bacon, pasta, and Parmesan cheese just sounds delicious. But I kept getting hung up on the egg. I just wasn’t sure about putting eggs in my pasta. I had visions of bacon, pasta, Parmesan cheese and scrambled eggs. Finally, I decided to be brave and just go for it — and it’s wonderful! The egg makes the pasta creamy and you can’t taste it at all.
I totally messed up this recipe because I didn’t bother to read through the recipe before I started cooking. I didn’t realize that the pasta needed to be hot and I cooked the spaghetti first and let it sit in the strainer in the sink. So instead, I added the spaghetti to the frying pan after the onions and garlic were done cooking, stirred it all together and let the pasta warm up. Then I added the egg and stirred quickly to coat the spaghetti. I turned the heat off, kept stirring, and added the bacon and cheese. It worked perfectly!
- 1 pound uncooked spahetti
- 1/2-1 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons basil or sage
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions.
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and basil or sage in the bacon grease over medium heat until onion is soft. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Strain spaghetti and return to pot immediately. Make sure it's HOT!
- Pour onion, garlic, basil/sage and eggs over hot pasta and stir to cook the egg.
- Stir in bacon and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.