Slow cooker salsa is an easy way to make homemade salsa without any work.
Homemade salsa is very easy to make. I've made it several times in a pan on the stove, but it only recently occurred to me that I could make it in a slow cooker. It was so easy to make and takes almost no hands on time at all.
Slow Cooker Salsa Recipe
Salsa ingredients are pretty basic. You need tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers and cilantro. I've always used fresh tomatoes to make salsa. Never canned. I usually pick roma tomatoes because I prefer their flavor but any tomatoes work.
For this batch of salsa, I used jalapenos, which are easy to find. Smoked and dried guajillo peppers are my favorite to use in salsa, if you can find them. They have an amazing flavor.
Control the heat of the salsa by using different peppers and also leaving or removing the seeds. The heat of peppers in the middle rib and the seeds. So if you like milder salsa, remove the membrane and seeds. For spicier salsa, leave them all in.
Chop everything up and put it in the slow cooker. Leave the cilantro, salt, and sugar out until the end. Put the lid on and let the vegetables cook for 2-3 hours on high or until they are softened. It's ok if they brown up a little, too. It just adds more flavor.
Once the vegetables are nice and soft, turn off the slow cooker and allow them to cool. Remove the vegetables to a blender or food processor. Add the cilantro. The salt and sugar are optional and depend on taste. My husband likes a little sugar in his so I add it in. But it's not required.
Blend the salsa until it's nice and smooth. Place in jars and store in the refrigerator.
Homemade salsa makes great gifts! Just add printable mason jar labels to the lid of the jars and give away. The recipe only makes 2 cups so make it in a bigger slow cooker with more ingredients for big batches to give away.
Slow Cooker Salsa
- 10 plum or roma tomatoes, cored
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, cut in to quarters
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Place tomatoes, garlic and onion in a 3 quart slow cooker.
- Slice the tops off of the jalapenos. Removes seeds and ribs, if desired, for a milder salsa. Add jalapenos to the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until the vegetables are soft. It's ok if they brown. Allow to cool.
- Remove the ingredients from the slow cooker in to a blender or food processor. Add cilantro, salt and sugar if desired. Process until smooth.
- Place salsa into jars and store in the refrigerator.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 79kcal Calories from fat 7|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|