Slow Cooker Pizza Casserole is the perfect comfort food the whole family will love with meat sauce, noodles, pizza toppings and cheese.
Some nights you just need an easy comfort food recipe to make for dinner. This is that recipe. I was really surprised at how filling and satisfying this slow cooker casserole is. And, as a bonus, the kids loved it! Win-win!
Slow Cooker Pizza Casserole Recipe
Start with a layer of the meat sauce on the bottom of the crock of a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker. The meat sauce is made with a jar of spaghetti sauce, onions and ground beef. I didn’t have mushrooms, but I wish I’d had them because they’d be awesome in the sauce.
Next add a layer of half the cooked egg noodles. I had my doubts about using egg noddles in this casserole, but they were perfect. Egg noodles tend to be a little softer and they paired well with the other ingredients. I do think that rotini noodles would be super fun in it, though.
Add a layer of pepperoni on top of the noodles. I had large pepperoni so I cut them in to quarters so they’d be easier to eat. Mini pepperoni would be super fun in this dish. You could also add other toppings at this point like ham, sausage, and maybe pineapple.
Then top it all with a layer of yummy cheese! I used a combo of 4 cheddar cheese and a pizza cheese mix. Straight mozzarella is classic, too.
Repeat the layers one more time to use up all your ingredients. Cover with the lid and cook on high for 1 hour or until the cheese is melted. You are basically just warming this up since everything is cooked.
Serve immediately or turn the slow cooker on to low to keep it warm to serve later. This recipe can be doubled and made in a 6 quart slow cooker for a larger size. It’d be perfect for a potluck.
Yields 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups (half a jar), spaghetti sauce
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 of a 16 ounce bag of wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- Sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or pizza cheese
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain the meat.
- Add spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, garlic powder and oregano to the meat. Heat through. Remove from heat.
- Spoon 2 cups of the meat sauce in to the crock of 3 quart slow cooker. Top with half of the noodles, half the pepperoni and then half the cheese. Repeat layer once.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 1 hour or until cheese is melted.
To make more, double ingredients and cook in a 6 quart slow cooker.