Slow Cooker Chex Mix is a favorite holiday treat in my home! This recipe helps you make homemade Chex Mix right in your slow cooker. Just melt the butter right in the crock and then mix in the seasonings. Add the cereal and any other munchies you like and stir to coat. Two hours later, you will have a delicious savory snack that the whole family loves.
Chex Mix has been a Christmas tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. My mother would make a 5 gallon container full of the stuff and we would wipe it out. When I moved away from home, I would beg her to send me Chex Mix because I never wanted to tackle making it myself.
I hate recipes that require you to stir while baking. Weird, I know! So when I saw that you could make Slow Cooker Chex Mix a few years ago I knew that my Chex Mix avoidance was over.
The ingredients for Slow Cooker Chex Mix are pretty flexible. Adjust the amount of butter and the seasoning to your liking. I sometimes add in buffalo sauce! This is the way I like it, but feel free to use what you like best.
Just make sure to stir, stir, stir so that the cereal and other ingredients are well coated with the seasonings before you start cooking.
My Slow Cooker Chex Mix has never taken more than 2 hours to cook (sometimes less), but it may take up to 3 hours. I’ve also accidentally cooked the Chex Mix on high and it takes less time, but is more prone to burn.
If you like a sweet Chex Mix treat, make sure to check out my Honey Sesame Chex Mix – it’s amazing!
- 3 cups each of corn, rice, and wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup toasted O's cereal (Cheerios)
- 1-2 cups pretzels
- 1-2 cup nuts
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrin's does not contain MSG)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Get out the largest slow cooker you own. Plug it in, put the lid on and turn it on high. Get out the rest of your ingredients.
- Put butter in crock and melt on high heat, covered. If this is your first batch, this may take up to 20 minute. If the slow cooker is hot, then it will take just a few minutes.
- Once butter is melted, add in Worcestershire, onion powder, garlic powder, and seasoned salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in rest of ingredients and stir well to coat.
- Turn slow cooker down to LOW.
- Cook on LOW for 2-3 hours, stirring every 45 minutes or so. As the slow cooker gets hotter, you will need to stir more often so the bottom ingredients don't burn. Towards the end I stir every 15-20 minutes.
- Once the chex mix is nice and toasty brown, dump out on to a cookie sheet to cool. Store in a sealed bag or covered container.
Check out all the recipes in the 30 Day Slow Cooking Challenge!