This no bake dessert recipe combines two of my favorite summer things: pina coladas and an easy dessert recipe! With little hands on time, this quick dessert recipe is perfect for summer potlucks.
I love pina coladas especially when the weather is hot. My husband and I had a pina colada every single night on our honeymoon and they’ve become “our” drink. The combination of coconut and pineapple is just so refreshing.
I needed to whip up a quick dessert recipe for a potluck just before school let out. I had seen this Italian cake recipe on Pinterest and those cherries were calling my name.
I did a little searching and found the recipe in a few places pretty much exactly as written. No one had a photo of what the cake looked like when served, though. I got curious.
I also couldn’t find what is Italian about the cake so I decided instead to add my own twist by using coconut milk to make it even more like a pina colada.
This no bake dessert recipe is super quick to make. I put it together while my husband put the kids to bed one night. He was rather surprised to come downstairs and find dessert going in the fridge.
The original recipe calls for this to be made in a 9×13 pan, but I wanted two smaller dishes so I made two of them in pie pans. I just divided everything in half and it pretty much worked.
Pina Colada No Bake Dessert Recipe
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 3-4 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 container whipped topping
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 10-15 Maraschinos cherry halves, dried off with a paper towel
- Place a single layer of the cookies on the bottom of a 9 x 13 or two pie plates. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together pineapple, condensed milk and coconut milk until combined.
- Carefully spread half of the milk and pineapple mixture over the top of the first layer of cookies.
- Place another layer of cookies on top of the pineapple and milk mixture.
- Using an offset spatula, evenly spread the whipped topping on top of the second layer of cookies.
- Top with coconut and cherries.
- Cover the dessert and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. The dessert will keep for at least a few days in the refrigerator.
- It's easiest to serve this by scooping out the dessert with a large spoon.