Make perfect chocolate chip cookies with this quick and easy cookie recipe! The trick is in the size of the dough and careful baking.
Ah, the chocolate chip cookie – isn’t always a favorite? This is the one cookie everyone in my family loves! But I had a really hard time finding a recipe that I loved. I wanted a cookie that was soft and chewy and would stay that way for a few days. I also wanted a dough that froze well and was easy to bake straight out of the freezer. They also had to be quick and easy to make. After trying many, many chocolate chip cookie recipes over the years, I can tell you that this one makes absolutely perfect chocolate chip cookies. You will never need another chocolate chip cookie recipe ever again.
The trick to making perfect looking cookies is in scooping the dough. If you want “normal” size cookies, use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the dough out. Roll that dough in to a small ball and the rip it in half. You want rough edges. Place the dough with the “ripped” side up on the cookie sheet. If you want larger cookies, use a 1/2 cup measuring cup.
When you bake, watch them closely. They will need a solid 15-20 minutes to bake but it will really depend on your oven. Watch closely and keep track. Also remember that your cookie sheets get hotter after each use so the bake time may be less as you go through the batch.
If you want soft cookies, then you want them to bake to the point where they puff about and are just coming back down. If you want crisp cookies, leave them in a little longer. Let them cool on the sheet for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- 2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- In bowl of electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly combined.
- Beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and beat at low-speed just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll a scant half-cup of dough into a ball.
- Holding dough ball in fingertips of both hands, pull apart into two equal halves.
- Put each half on parchment lined cookie sheet with jagged surfaces facing up (I put 9 on a sheet).
- Bake, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy (approximately 11-14 minutes).
- Do not overbake.
- Take them out just after they've risen and when they still look a little gooey in the middle.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 2g