Cheese bread is one of my favorite forms of carbs. This cheese bread is basically a savory version of a cream puff. The batter comes together quickly with just butter, water, flour and eggs. Stir in cheese and bake for an easy cheese bread perfect for any night!
I didn’t set out to make cheese bread for this month’s Secret Recipe Club. In fact, On The Move – In the Galley made it very difficult to choose a recipe. What an amazing collection of recipes there are on this blog! I really didn’t have anything in mind when I went searching. The crepes with Lemon Parsley Sauce look amazing. When I saw the Parmesan Puff recipe and realized that it is basically a savory rendition of a cream puff, I knew I had to try it.
What I love about this recipe is that you can make it your own very easily. I just used Parmesan cheese, but any cheese would work. Then add your favorite herbs – straight from your garden, perhaps. We ate these with all sorts of meals – salmon, pasta with clam sauce, at breakfast with eggs and they were delicious with each one. This would also be a fun cheese bread to make in to small puffs to serve as an appetizer.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Herbs, onions, etc for desired flavoring
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine water, milk, salt and butter in a medium pot. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to medium heat and add flour all at once. Stir mixture with a wooden spoon until it forms a soft dough ball.
- Remove pot from heat and allow mixture to cool just a bit. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in cheese and black pepper and any other herbs or additions.
- Drop batter in to desired sizes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake puffs for 20 minutes on top rack of oven until golden crisp.
Check out what the other members of The Secret Recipe club cooked up this month!