Homemade mug cake mix is packaged in individual servings and put in an adorable DIY paper mug to give as a gift. Your recipients can then make the cakes in their own ceramic mugs.
Over the last few years, mug cakes have become extremely popular. They make a great afternoon treat! They also make really cute homemade gifts.
This homemade mug cake mix is packaged in an adorable paper mug that you can give as a gift. Your recipients then make the cakes in their own microwave-safe mugs. These homemade mug cake mixes are great for neighbors, teachers, and to sell at craft bazaars!
Make Paper Mugs
Start by making the paper mugs that will hold your homemade mug cake mix. Cut 1 sheet of card stock in half to 4.25″ x 9″ with a paper trimmer. You can use a 12 x 12 piece of card stock and cut it down to this size if you prefer. Set aside the scrap pieces to use for the handle.
Next, use a scoring blade on the paper cutter to score the paper at 1″ along the short side. Score the paper 1″ from the edge on the long edge. This will help the mug stay standing up easily.
Cut the score marks along one of the long 9″ edge so you have small tabs.
Create a mug shape by rolling up the paper to create a cylinder. Use hot glue on the edge to glue it together.
Next, make the bottom of the mug. First, fold in the tabs to create the first layer for bottom of the mug.
Then, use the scrap paper from trimming the paper to cut 2, 2″ circles with a circle cutter.
Glue one of the circles to the bottom outside of the cylinder. Then glue the other circle to the inside cylinder. You are simply reinforcing the bottom of the mug so it’s sturdy when the mug cake is baked in it. Now the mug has a bottom.
Finally, you will add a handle to the mug. Cut a strip of paper 1/2″ x 4.25″ .
Fold and glue on the mug to create a handle. Now your mug is complete and ready for the cake mix!
How to Make a Paper Mug
Use card stock to make a paper mug that will hold a homemade mug cake mix to give as gifts.
- 8.5 x 11 card stock
- Baker's twine
- Paper shredding or tissue paper
- Paper trimmer with cutting blade and scoring blade
- Hot glue gun and hot glue
- 2" circle paper punch
- Hole punch
- Cut 1 sheet of card stock in half to 4.25" x 9" with a paper trimmer. Set aside the scrap pieces to use for the handle.
- Use a scoring blade to score the paper at 1" along the short side. Use the scoring blade to score the paper 1" from the edge on the long edge.
- Cut the score marks along the 9" edge so you have small tabs. Roll up the paper to create a cylinder. Affix with hot glue on the edge.
- Fold in the tabs to create the bottom of the mug.
- Use scrap paper to cut 2, 2" circles with a circle cutter. Glue on the bottom and inside of the cylinder
- Cut a strip of paper 1/2" x 4.25" and fold and glue on the mug for a handle.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make the Homemade Mug Cake Mix
Now that your paper mugs are ready, you need to fill them with mug cake mix and the baking direction tags.
Make a cake mix for each of the mugs. This recipe makes enough for 1 mug cake. Simply place all ingredients into a plastic sandwich bag and secure shut with a twist tie. You don’t even need to mix the ingredients as they will get mixed when baked.
Assemble the Homemade Mug Cake Gifts
Place one bag of homemade mug cake mix into one of the paper mugs.
Tuck in some paper shredding or tissue paper so the cake mix fits snugly inside the paper mug. You don’t want it to fall out!
Print out the baking directions tags. The recipe cards are 2″ x 3″ when cut out. Make sure you use the pdf to print, and uncheck the “fit to page” or “reduce to print” when printing, otherwise, they won’t print at the actual size. Print and then cut out the tags. You will need one tag for each mug.
Punch a hole in the corner of the tag. Thread a piece of baker’s twine through the hole and hang the tag around the top of the cake in the bag. You could also attach it with yarn, ribbon, raffia, or paper ribbon.
Hand these out to teachers, friends, mom friends who need a break!
Hand out your homemade mug cake mixes! Make a mug cake in a microwave-safe mug for an afternoon treat or a single serving dessert.
Homemade Mug Cake Mix Recipe
Make a homemade chocolate mug cake mix with just 5 ingredients.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Plastic sandwich bag
- Twist tie
Prepare the Mug Cake Mix:
Place all ingredients into a plastic sandwich bag and secure shut with a twist tie.
To Bake the Mug Cake:
- Spray the inside of the mug with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dump the bag of cake mix into mug and mix well with a spoon.
- Add 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon milk.
- Add 2 Tablespoons oil.
- Mix ingredients well.
- Microwave for 70 seconds. Remove from microwave oven and let stand 1 minute before serving. Cake will be very hot and might need additional time to cool.
- You can stir in a dollop of peanut butter, hazelnut spread or a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips when you make the cake if you choose to do so.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 550mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 5gSugar: 41gProtein: 11g
I love this idea! Thank you for posting it. I can’t seem to find the link to the tag. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
They are free to our newsletter subscribers. You can sign up here: https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/l3d0q2