Nutella Hamantaschen are a delicious addition to your Purim festivities!
Purim, the Jewish holiday commemorating Queen Esther’s saving the Jews from Haman’s evil plots to destroy them. Hamantaschen are little triangular cookies made with a shortbread type of cookie dough and filled with all sorts of delicious fillings. They are traditionally filled with fruit jams, prunes or poppy seeds, but I wanted to use Nutella because it sounded good and was easy.
The first recipe I tried used butter and cinnamon. The cookies were delicious, but boy did they spread! I wanted cute little triangles, not flat triangles.
I went back to a trusted website, The Shiksa in the Kitchen, and found this recipe. It worked beautifully. I folded both cookie recipes the same, shown below, but what a difference in the results.
I did really like the cinnamon paired with the Nutella so you may want to add 1-2 teaspoons to the dough in place of the orange zest.
My husband was raised Jewish so I was pretty proud of making hamantaschen for him. I presented him with my final product and asked how they compared to the hamantaschen of his youth. His reply? He didn’t like hamantaschen. Ha! So much for that idea! But he did like mine so I guess it’s all good.
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange (or lemon) zest (optional)
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 5 teaspoons water, if needed
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla, and zest.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until a very crumbly dough begins to form.
- Use your hands and gently crumbs together to form a dough. You may need a tiny bit of water to get the dough to stick together (I used 1 teaspoon of water). Use 1 teaspoon at a time and just enough to get the dough to stick.
- Roll dough out with a rolling pin on a floured surface to desired thickness. If you want crisp cookies, go very thin, but do not get thicker than 1/4".
- Cut out dough into 3" circles - I used a drinking glass.
- Put 1 teaspoon of Nutella into the center of each circle - NO MORE!
- Fold circles into a triangle and pinch points together and smooth.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 17-25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g