We had this soup for dinner the other night. It was 104 degrees outside. But I really missed eating soup! So we did. In fact, we cooked the meatballs in the grill. I didn’t like the meatball recipe I used. I usually use this recipe and I love it! So use that one for this soup.
I also used tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes because what I thought was diced tomatoes was in fact strained tomatoes. Oops. I avoid tomatoes in cans because the cans have BPA in them. Tomatoes are also acidic so they really leach the BPA off the can lining. Instead, I buy Bionaturae in jars or Pomi in boxes (and I can get the Pomi at Walmart!). I have to admit that aside from avoiding BPA both of these brands taste a lot better than canned tomatoes. The “strained” tomatoes worked just fine, though.
This soup is hearty and filling and delicious. It’s even better the next day for lunch.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cup (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 3/4 cup (15 1/2 ounces) cooked beans
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 1 cup orzo (or another small) pasta
- 2 cups prepared meatballs
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- Saute onion and garlic and carrot until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, seasonings, and orzo to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add in meatballs.
- Simmer soup for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese.