Margherita Pizza is a simplecombination of tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese. These three simple ingredients topped on a homemade pizza dough make up one of my all-time favorite pizzas!
One of my favorite dishes to make with summer tomatoes is Margherita Pizza. I first had Margherita Pizza while studying abroad in Greece. A little pizza place called Mystic Pizza was just around the corner from our hotel. I had a Margherita Pizza there at least a few times a week. The owner told me that the colors of the Margherita Pizza, red, green, and white, represent the Italian flag. This is a super simple pizza that is fresh and delicious.
If you have more Farmers’ Market veggies to use – check out Three Cheese Garden Pizza for another delicious option.
Margherita Pizza Recipe
Margherita Pizza Ingredients:
- Pizza dough – You can use any pizza dough you like – homemade or store-bought. You could use a store-bought flat bread.
- Tomatoes – I love roma tomatoes but whatever your like
- Olive oil
- Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses
- Basil – Fesh basil is best, but if you killed your basil plants like me, feel free to sprinkle on dried basil before baking.
Margherita Pizza Directions:
In a small bowl combine the diced or sliced tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, and salt. Stir gently and set aside. The pizza dough should be at the stage where it can be rolled out.
Pre-heat oven or grill to 500 degrees. You can use a pizza stone if you have one.
Roll out the pizza dough to your desired pizza size. Gently brush the top with some olive oil. Top the pizza with cheese and then the tomato mixture.
Bake in the oven or on a grill for about 8-10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Remove the pizza from the heat. Immediately top with basil and Parmesan cheese. Cool for 2-3 minutes before cutting and serving.
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound (or more) chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 fresh basil leaves cut in to julienne strips
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven and pizza stone to 500 degrees or heat grill on high heat.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, tomatoes, garlic and salt. Stir gently and set aside.
- Make pizza dough or use pre-made dough. Roll out and then brush lightly with more olive oil.
- Top the pizza dough with cheese and then tomato mixture. Drizzle with more olive oil.
- Bake in oven or on the grill for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
- Remove pizza from oven or grill. Top with Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes before cutting and serving.