Roasted brussel sprouts are the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Brussel sprouts, apples, and walnuts are tossed with oil and maple syrup to create the perfect fall side dish.
The only vegetable that both of my kids will eat every time I serve it is brussel sprouts. In fact, they will request brussel sprouts for dinner multiple times a week. I attribute the popularity of the brussel sprout in our home to the way we cook them. We always roast our brussel sprouts and they are always a hit.
I decided to add apple and walnuts to the mix and roast the three ingredients in an oil and maple syrup mixture. Brussel sprouts are similar to cabbage so I thought along the lines of a warm, sweet and toasted cole slaw.
One of my tricks to roasting brussel sprouts well is to cut each sprout in to quarters. This makes the brussel sprout easier to eat and allows to to cook quicker than the whole sprout.
I roast my sprouts on pan lined with foil to make clean up a breeze. You can also fold the mixture right in the foil and roast on the grill.
Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Walnuts and Apples
- 1 pound brussel sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- Enough oil to coat sprouts, about 2 Tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 small Granny Smith apple, coarsely diced
- A handful of walnuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl toss together brussel sprouts, oil, and maple syrup making sure to coat sprouts thoroughly. If you need more oil, add it in.
- Add in apples and walnuts and stir once or twice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mixture out on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Roast sprouts for 10-20 minutes at 425 degrees, watching closely so the walnuts do not burn. The longer they cook, the more toasted they will be.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 525kcal Calories from fat 249|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 28g||43%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 21g||84%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This article may contain affiliate links.