I always like to have a few quart bags of cooked chicken and beef in the freezer. It often eliminates one step in a recipe and makes life a little easier. A few years ago I discovered the method of poaching chicken as a means of keeping cooked boneless, skinless chicken from drying out when it cooks. This works beautifully!
- 1/2 medium onion, halved
- 1 medium carrot, cut into large chunks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into large chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 lemon sliced, optional
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Thyme or parsley
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 8 ounces each)
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients except chicken.
- Cover with water by 1/2 inch and bring to a boil over high.
- Add chicken.
- Bring back to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Cover pot and remove from heat.
- Let stand until chicken is cooked through, 15-18 minutes, turning chicken once.
- Remove chicken from liquid immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1158kcal Calories from fat 217|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 24g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This article may contain affiliate links.