I made a recipe (coming up soon!) that called for teriyaki sauce, but I didn’t want to go buy something I knew I could make on my own and avoid a lot of junk ingredients. This sauce turned out really well. At first it was missing something and I couldn’t quite decide what it was. I tried more honey, but that didn’t fix it. I finally figured out that it needed more ginger. I had no idea that ginger was the taste behind teriyaki!
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 teaspoons dry ginger
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Dissolve arrowroot powder/corn starch in 1/4 cup cold water. Set aside.
- In a small pan, combine water, soy sauce, ginger, honey and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add cornstarch/water mixture to pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
Adapted from Heavenly Homemakers
Leave a Reply