A thick pizza sauce made with canned tomatoes and spice rack staples that is ready in 15 minutes.
Pizza sauce for making homemade pizza is easy to pick up in the grocery store. But making homemade sauce is really quick and easy with just a couple of cans of tomatoes and some basic spices you probably already have on hand. Combine and cook until thickened to your liking. Pair the pizza sauce with homemade pizza dough and have a fun family pizza night at home.
Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
Homemade Pizza Sauce Ingredients:
- Can tomato sauce
- Can tomato paste
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- White sugar
Homemade Pizza Sauce Directions:
Heat a small saucepan or skill over medium heat. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste to the pan immediately after turning the heat on.
You don’t need to pre-heat the skillet. Use a whisk or wooden spoon to blend the tomato paste into the tomatoes sauce.
Once the tomatoes are incorporated together, add the garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt, and sugar to the skillet or saucepan. Mix well.
Continue to heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until edges begin to bubble. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally for flavors to mix and mingle. The sauce is thicker than a jar of store-bought sauce. If you prefer the pizza sauce to be thinner, then simmer without covering the pan.
Use the sauce to make your favorite homemade pizza recipe or try one of ours:
- Slow Cooker Pizza Casserole Recipe
- Homemade Pizza Rolls
- Garlic Bread Pizza
- Homemade Air Fryer Bagel Bites
- Three Cheese Garden Pizza Recipe on the Grill
Homemade Pizza Sauce
Make homemade pizza sauce in 15 minutes using canned tomatoes and spice rack staples.
- 1 can, 15 oz, tomato sauce
- 1 can, 6 oz, tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt and sugar to a skillet or saucepan. Mix well.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until edges begin to bubble.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally for flavors to mix and mingle.
- Use immediately or store, covered in a sealed container until ready to use.