Making homemade caramel corn is easy and quick and it’s a perfect fall treat! All you need is popcorn, butter and sugar to make a delicious snack.
My family is crazy about popcorn in general, but they adore caramel corn! Before I tried making it at home, I thought it’d be a huge chore to make but it turns out that it’s really very quick and easy to whip up a batch of homemade caramel corn in no time. It’s great for after school snacks and even football watching.
For parties, I’ll put the caramel corn out in bags so people can just grab one and go. It helps to corral it better for kids, too.
You start with 16 cups of plain popcorn. I used 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels in my air popper and got just under 16 cups and called it good.
Then you make your caramel mixture on the the stove. Once the caramel is ready to go, coat the popcorn in it by stirring it on. Bake the sheet in the oven for an hour. Someday I’m planning to play around with some other toppings like nuts and chocolate! The caramel corn will keep in an air tight container, although I’m not sure for how long because ours never lasts more than a day.
When the caramel is done cooking, break it apart. You’ll want to work quickly so it doesn’t all get stuck together in on big lump.
Homemade Caramel Corn
Making homemade caramel corn is easy and quick and it's a perfect fall treat! All you need is popcorn, butter and sugar to make a delicious snack.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup honey (or corn syrup)
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 16 cups of popped popcorn (approximately 1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels, popped in an air popper)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Put popcorn in a very, very large bowl.
- Measure out salt and baking soda in to a small bowl and set aside.
- Get out a jelly roll or rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and honey to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture is boiling, continue to stir continuously for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add baking soda and salt.
- Quickly pour mixture over the popcorn and stir well to coat the popcorn in the caramel.
- Pour popcorn on to the large baking sheet (I put parchment or a baking mat down in case the honey sticks but have never had a problem).
- Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour.
- Take the cookie sheet out of the oven and quickly begin breaking apart the popcorn.
- The caramel will harden as it cools and if you don't break the popcorn apart, you'll have popcorn balls or sheets.
I like Carmel corn but can I use a bag or two of microwave corn since I don’t have an air popper. How important is it to have season/oil free popcorn to make a successful batch.
I’ve only made it with plain popcorn, but I would think it would be fine with butter or seasonings on it. It just may change the flavor a bit. Microwave popcorn is just fine, though!
When we go to the movies we get a large bucket of popcorn. These are refillable for free.
Right before we leave the theater I have the bucket refilled. When home I make the caramel corn. It does not matter if I wait until next day. I just measure out what I need from this. The butter and salt do not affect the good taste of the carsmel corn. Yum
Miz Helen says
We just love Caramel Corn, this is a great recipe. Thanks for helping us celebrate Three Years at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
Antionette Blake says
mmmmm good – thanks for sharing!
Hi Camille 🙂 I love this, my mom used to make caramel corn balls growing up and this looks like a great recipe as well! This is a perfect game day munchie!
Carolyn West says
How cute are those paper bags? I love caramel popcorn and never once thought to try and make it at home. This is so perfect for the Big Game… or any game.
This looks great and so easy to make! We definitely love caramel popcorn and I can’t wait to make it at home. Pinning 🙂
I think my boyfriend would go nuts with joy if I were to do this! I think I will do it. He adores caramel corn!
Kristin Wheeler ( says
Yummy! That looks so good and perfect for a gathering!
Oh yummy. This is a great alternative to shelling out money for Crunch N Munch.
That is the perfect game day snack. I like how you put it in grab and go bags.
I totally need to make this. My sister-in-law made some for the holidays and it was fantastic! Your looks delicious!
Yum, this looks so delicious.
I love caramel corn..thank you very much for sharing this. 🙂
I’m not a big popcorn fan, but I Love Caramel corn. I guess I just love anything sweet!
Thanks for sharing! New linky follower!
Yummy! Luv caramel popcorn! I now Follow you via Linky Followers. I’d appreciate a visit when you have a moment. Have a Great Weekend!
I love caramel corn, especially when the caramel is chewy! Thanks so much for join in the linky followers fest! So happy to have you!