Homemade Beignets from Scratch
- 1 1/4-ounce envelope active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- powdered sugar; for dusting
- Mix the yeast, water, and sugar in a mixer bowl fitted with a dough hook. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, lemon zest, cinnamon, egg, milk, and 1 1/2 cups flour; mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add the butter; mix until incorporated.
- Add 1 3/4 cups flour, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough:
- Knead by hand:Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in the remaining 1/4 cup flour by hand until the dough is smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Knead with dough hook: add remaining 1/4 cup flour and mix with dough hook until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly olive oiled bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in size, about one hour. Remove the dough from the bowl.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into rectangles about 3 inches by 5 inches big.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Let rise in a warm, draft-free spot for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot or deep fryer until it registers 350ºF on a deep-fry thermometer between a 2 and a 3 on the dial.
- Fry the beignets in batches, rolling them around constantly with a slotted spoon, until golden brown all over, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the beignets with the slotted spoon to a cooling rack that's set over a baking pan and dust with powdered sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1213Total Fat: 119gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 104gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 5g
Data is provided by a 3rd party and may not be accurate.