Are you curious about home solar energy systems? I recently spoke to Sunrun, the leader in home solar energy systems, and got the answers all my solar energy questions!
There is a lot of talk these days about solar power. I belong to a few local “mommy” Facebook groups and at least once a month someone is asking about home solar energy systems. I have to admit that I’ve been pretty curious about solar power. Living in Las Vegas, our energy rates are pretty high and we obviously use a lot of energy in the summers. I cringe when I hear what some of my friends pay to cool their larger homes during the summer. Everyone I know is looking for a more reasonable rate, but solar energy seems to be this big mystery and no one really knows how it all works.
1. How does a Sunrun solar system work? Sunrun installs, insures, monitors and maintains a solar system that is designed specifically for you and your home. You just pay a low, locked-in rate for the electricity that the panels produce. The rate you pay will depend on where you live, but my quote was quite a bit lower than my current rate.
2. Will a Sunrun solar system save me money? Yes. It really depends on your home, but even with our smaller 1600 square feet, Sunrun was able to project a savings of around $70/month on our electric bill. How much you can save will depend on your current energy rate and your current usage. Basically all you are doing is switching from your current energy provider (ours is NV Energy, for example) to Sunrun.
3. What will it cost to install a home solar energy system? The answer is most often, nothing. Sunrun offers two different programs and while you can put down money on a system, it’s not necessary. Your Sunrun representative will walk you through both options so you can decide which one is best for your needs. But both will save you money!
4. Do I need to live in a sunny state to be eligible for a Sunrun solar system? No! I was completely shocked to find out that you do not have to live in a “sunny” state to use solar power. In fact, Mark told me that right now is a great time for anyone living in New York to look in to a Sunrun solar system thanks to local and state tax incentives.
5. Do I have to own a single family home? No. It depends on the layout of your townhome, condo or duplex, but Sunrun can install a solar system on these types of homes. Sunrun is committed to making sure that every home owner has the option of solar energy. You can see the plan Sunrun provided for our townhome in the photo above.
And that is just the basics of how Sunrun works. If you have even the slightest interest or curiosity about home solar energy systems, give Sunrun a call. Thanks to satellite imagery, Sunrun can actually get a photo of your house and give you an estimate right on the phone. They’ll tell you if you are eligible, what it will cost, what it will look like and answer all your questions.
We have a special offer for Growing Up Gabel readers. If you go solar with Sunrun before Nov. 30, you’ll get a $500 VISA® Prepaid Card. (Conditions apply.) Get a free solar quote here.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.This article may contain affiliate links.